Y'all here helped me through a depression about a year ago...

I'm 36 years old, going on my 3rd year as a contractor. My partner Joe is also 36, and he's been doing this for about 7 years. He's clinically bipolar, and struggles with it all of the time... I've been diagnosed with depression many times. We both complain of either working to much, or when we're not working, we're worried about of being broke, which I've discovered will set me into a depression quicker than anything. Anyway, you're not alone, Doc. The advice here may or may not work for you, but it's my experience.

One of the things that keeps me going is knowing that being a contractor is not the end, but just another stepping stone to where I do not know. In my life, I've been a vending route driver, full-line vending manager, small engine mechanic, lawn care tech, convenience store owner, rock band member, and only took the electrician thing seriously back in about 95 or 96...

Lately, I've hoped that maybe I'm leading up to something bigger, either in the inspection, consulting, or education area (or all three)... Goodness knows that my home locale needs these things... I'm in no hurry, haven't even taken my inspector's tests yet... (I've had the books on loan for a long time too! Ooops!) I feel all in good time...

I guess the important thing is to not feel "stuck"...

When working for other companies in Wisconsin, the fact that it was all leading up to me getting out on my own was what kept me going then... The goals and dreams need to stay just slightly ahead of the progress...

Hope this helps...

-Virgil

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 09-23-2002).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI