ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Shout Box
Recent Posts
220/230/240V 60Hz Systems
by gfretwell. 09/23/18 02:50 PM
Inspection camera help
by petey_c. 09/22/18 07:52 AM
Motion detectors and dimmers
by gfretwell. 09/20/18 04:02 PM
Extension cords
by annemarie1. 09/20/18 08:54 AM
Acronis Backup 2017
by gfretwell. 09/16/18 12:46 AM
New in the Gallery:
Plug terminals
Housebilding DIY wiring
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (vanphuccity), 37 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Non-US Electrical Systems & Trades
09/23/18 06:50 PM
With the availability of cheap switcher power supplies that have a wide mouth, using things internationally with no changes at all is becoming common. When we went to New Zealand, all of our electronics made the move seamlessly. I just needed a power plug adapter that changed the NZ plug to a NEMA 5-15 We plugged a cube tap into that and everything we had plugged right in.
28 9,082 Read More
General Discussion Area
09/22/18 11:52 AM
Bill, thanks very much. That's what I'm looking for, but I'd like to have it even simpler (I'll email rack-a-tiers). I don't anticipate using it to help snag or pull wires and the diameter is 1.25". .75" would be great. Pete
11 537 Read More
General Discussion Area
09/20/18 08:02 PM
I wired a bulb in directly to the MD and everything seems to work. Thanks. I really thought these Heith dimmers were relay output tho. The others I have click. I guess this is just progress.
2 43 Read More
09/20/18 12:54 PM
Hi im back been absent for a while as had a truly terrible year so far be glad when 2019 gets here cant be nearly ad bad as 2018. Anyhow back on topic Paul UK its interesting what you say about old UK plugs because a while ago a friend gave me a 2amp 3 way adapter I noticed its live pin appears to have half its diameter missing starting just after pin leaves the adapter body now I assumed it had had some sort of accident or something but now it looks like its a deliberate thing if im reading your earlier post correctly. Its made by clang is off white color rated 2 amps 250 volts
38 12,555 Read More
Re: Computers and the Internet
09/16/18 04:46 AM
I keep all of my "data" on another drive that I back up selectively. That is just a simple "copy". It is the software drive that needs to be imaged because of the registry and how software is installed. I keep that as small as possible so the images are not huge.
7 113 Read More
General Discussion Area
09/15/18 07:24 AM
NHSparky,
Don't use Stainless Steel, it has elements that cause electrical resistance and unless you have a TIG welder, joining anything to it (you need a welded joint) can be problematic.
The question I ask, does the PoCo have a guy that isn't the Head Lineman, like a Senior Technician, that investigates things like this?
A response like you were given, is not good enough, because this is a Line-side fault, either with the Neutral or poor Grounding at the transformer.
It is up to the PoCo to get this sorted.
Let us know how you get on with this, because I used to do this sort of thing all the time.
7 425 Read More
NEC & other Code issues
09/14/18 11:04 PM
Yoop:

Sorry if I’m getting off the path of your original question.
13 326 Read More
Safety News and Product Recalls
09/13/18 12:57 AM
Emerson Tool Company Recalls RIDGID Wet/Dry Vacuums Due to Shock Hazard; Sold Exclusively at Home Depot:

Recall Date: September 11, 2018
Recall Number: 18-220

Recall Summary

Name of Product:

RIDGID® NXT HD06000 and HD09000 wet/dry vacuums

Hazard:

The on/off switch can become dislodged and expose energized wiring, posing a shock hazard to consumers.

Remedy: Replace

Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled wet/dry vacuum and contact Emerson Tool Company for a free replacement wet/dry vacuum powerhead assembly.

Consumer Contact:

Emerson Tool Company toll-free at 888-847-8718 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CT or online at www.emerson.com/en-us/commercial-residential/emerson-tool-company and click on Safety Notifications. ​​​

Pictures available here: https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2018/E...ck-Hazard-Sold-Exclusively-at-Home-Depot

Recall Details

Units:

About 208,000 (in addition, about 2,600 were sold in Canada)

Description:

This recall involves RIDGID NXT wet/dry vacuums, models HD06000 (6-gallon) and HD09000 (9-gallon). The orange and black wet/dry vacuum has four swivel casters, a carrying handle, a hose and accessories. RIDGID is printed on the front of the vacuum. The model number can be found on a silver product identification label on the back of the vacuum’s powerhead assembly.

Incidents/Injuries:

None reported

Sold Exclusively At:

The Home Depot stores nationwide and online at www.homedepot.com from March 2018 through July 2018 for about $50 for the 6-gallon wet/dry vacuum and for about $60 for the 9-gallon wet/dry vacuum.

Importer(s):

Emerson Tool Company, of St. Louis, Mo.

Manufactured In:

Mexico
0 43 Read More
General Discussion Area
09/12/18 09:44 AM
I found this dictionary , but it appears in need of some updating>>>

Phase.
In wave motion, oscillating motion, simple harmonic motion, or similar
periodic phenomena, the interval of time passed from the time the moving
particle moved through the middle point of its course to the instant
when the phase is to be stated

~S~
8 385 Read More
09/07/18 12:55 AM
Lester Electrical Recalls Links Series Chargers Due to Fire and Burn Hazards:

Recall Date: September 6, 2018
Recall Number: 18-217

Recall Summary

Name of Product:

Links Series chargers models 28080, 28090 and 28100

Hazard:

The control board can fail and overheat, posing fire and burn hazards.

Remedy: Repair

Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled chargers and contact Lester Electrical to receive a free replacement control board or schedule a free repair.

Consumer Contact:

Lester Electrical at 800-295-2086 from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. CT Monday through Friday, email at service@lesterelectrical.com or online at www.lesterelectrical.com and click on “Service & Support” and then “Links Series Field Action” for more information.

Pictures available here: https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2018/L...es-Chargers-Due-to-Fire-and-Burn-Hazards

Recall Details

Units:
About 19,000

Description:

This recall involves Links Series chargers with model numbers 28080, 28090 or 28100. The chargers are used with golf carts. The recalled chargers are black or aluminum and measure approximately 11 inches long by 8 ¾ inches wide by 9 ½ inches tall. “Lester Electrical” and “Links Series” are printed on the front of the recalled chargers along with a picture of a golfer. The recalled chargers were manufactured between week 29 of 2014 and week 48 of 2016. The date code is embedded in the serial number as the first four digits with the first and second digits representing the week and the third and fourth digits representing the year. The serial and model numbers are printed on the ratings label on the back of the charger.

Incidents/Injuries:

The firm has received 12 reports of failed control boards that showed signs of overheating or burning. No injuries have been reported.

Sold At:

Direct from Lester Electrical and distributors and online at www.GolfCartGarage.com from July 2014 through November 2016 for about $400.

Manufacturer(s):
Lester Electrical, of Lincoln, Neb.

Manufactured In:
U.S.
0 56 Read More
09/07/18 12:44 AM
Hawthorne Hydroponics Recalls Humidifiers Due to Fire and Shock Hazards:

Recall Date: September 5, 2018
Recall Number: 18-215

Recall Summary

Name of Product:
Ideal-Air 175-pint industrial grade humidifiers

Hazard:

The humidifiers can overheat while in use, posing fire and shock hazards.

Remedy: Refund

Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled humidifiers and return them to the place of purchase for a full refund of the purchase price in the form of store credit.

Consumer Contact:

Sunlight Supply toll-free at 888-582-2762 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, e-mail at RMA@sunlightsupply.com or online at www.sunlightsupply.com and click on “Voluntary Recall” for more information.

Pictures available here: https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2018/H...umidifiers-Due-to-Fire-and-Shock-Hazards

Recall Details

Units:
About 400 (In addition, 70 were sold in Canada)

Description:

This recall involves Ideal-Air 175-pint industrial grade humidifiers. The recalled humidifiers are black and have the “Ideal-Air” logo printed near the bottom.

Incidents/Injuries:

The firm is aware of 5 incidents of the humidifier overheating. No injuries have been reported.

Sold At:

GreenCoast Hydroponics, Growers House, Hydro Pros, Urban Garden Center, Red Flag Products stores and other gardening stores nationwide from October 2017 through June 2018 for about $500.

Manufacturer(s):

Ningbo Yichao Muffler Science and Technology Co. Ltd., of China

Importer(s):

Sunlight Supply Inc., of Vancouver, Wash., Hawthorne Hydroponics, of Vancouver, Wash., purchased Sunlight Supply’s assets on June 4, 2018

Manufactured In:

China
0 46 Read More
09/07/18 12:41 AM
PetSmart Recalls Strip Lights for Reptile Cages Due to Fire Hazard:

Recall Date: August 30, 2018
Recall Number: 18-212

Recall Summary

Name of Product: Reptile strip light fixtures

Hazard:

The strip light’s fluorescent bulb can overheat causing the hood on the light fixture to ignite, posing a fire hazard.

Remedy: Refund

Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled light fixtures and return them to any PetSmart store for a full refund.

Consumer Contact:

PetSmart toll-free at 888-839-9638 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. MT Monday through Friday or online at www.petsmart.com and click on “Recalls” for more information.

Pictures available here:
https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2018/PetSmart-Recalls-Strip-Lights-for-Reptile-Cages-Due-to-Fire-Hazard

Recall Details

Units:
About 23,000 (in addition, about 440 were sold in Canada)

Description:

This recall involves 20 inch and 30 inch All Living Things reptile strip light fixtures. These light fixtures simulate natural daylight and are attached to the top of the reptile’s terrarium. The 20 inch fixture has UPC number 73725773305 and the 30 inch fixture has UPC number 73725773306 printed on the packaging.
Incidents/Injuries:
PetSmart has received six reports of the hood on the recalled light fixtures igniting.

Sold At:
PetSmart stores nationwide from March 2017 through July 2018 for about $35 (20 inch) and $40 (30 inch).

Manufacturer(s):

Tianjin McLanzoo Pet Articles, of Tianjin, China

Importer(s):

PetSmart, Inc., of Phoenix, Ariz.

Manufactured In:
China
0 31 Read More
09/07/18 12:37 AM
Vornado Air Reannounces Recall of Electric Space Heaters Following Report of Death; Fire and Burn Hazards:

Recall Date: August 22, 2018
Recall Number: 18-199

Recall Summary

Name of Product:

VH101 Personal Vortex electric space heaters

Hazard:

The electric space heater can overheat when in use, posing fire and burn hazards.

Remedy: Refund, Replace

Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled heaters and contact Vornado for instructions on how to receive a full refund or a free replacement unit.

Consumer Contact:

Vornado toll-free at 855-215-5131 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CT Monday through Friday or online at www.vornado.com and click on “Recalls” in the lower right corner of the homepage or www.vornado.com/recalls and click on the VH101 Personal Heater recall button for more information.

Pictures available here: https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2018/V...ng-Report-of-Death-Fire-and-Burn-Hazards

Recall Details

Units:

About 350,000 (This recall was first announced in April 2018.)

Description:

This recall involves Vornado VH101 Personal Vortex electric space heaters sold in the following colors: black, coral orange, grayed jade, cinnamon, fig, ice white and red. The heaters measure about 7.2 inches long by 7.8 inches wide by 7.10 inches high and have two heat settings (low and high) and a fan only/no heat setting. “Vornado” with a “V” behind it is printed on the front of the unit. The model/type “VH101,” serial number and ETL mark are printed on a silver rating label on the bottom of the unit.

Incidents/Injuries:

In December 2017, a 90-year-old man in Chanhassen, Minnesota died as a result of a fire involving the recalled heater. Vornado has received a total of 19 reports of the heaters catching on fire.

Sold At:

Bed Bath & Beyond, Home Depot, Menards, Orchard Supply, Target and other stores nationwide and online at Amazon.com, Target.com, Vornado.com and other websites from August 2009 through March 2018 for about $30.

Importer(s):

Vornado Air LLC, of Andover, Kan.

Manufactured In:

China
0 33 Read More
09/07/18 12:33 AM
Xtava Recalls Allure Hair Dryers Due to Fire, Burn and Electrical Shock Hazards:

Recall Date: August 15, 2018
Recall Number: 18-205

Recall Summary

Name of Product:

Allure and Allure Pro hair dryers

Hazard:

The hair dryer and power cord can overheat and catch on fire, posing fire, burn and electrical shock hazards.

Consumers should immediately stop using the hair dryers and contact Xtava to receive a free replacement hair dryer.

Consumer Contact:

Xtava toll-free at 877-643-8440 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, online at www.xtava.com and click on “Product Recalls” or https://recall-xtava-allure.expertinquiry.com for more information.

Pictures available here: https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2018/X...o-Fire-Burn-and-Electrical-Shock-Hazards

Recall Details

Units:

About 235,000

Description:

This recall involves the Allure and Allure Pro 2200W ionic ceramic hair dryers. The hand-held hair dryers are black or white and include a concentrator nozzle. The hair dryers were sold separately or as part of various hair care kits that included hair treatment products, a flat iron or a diffuser. Many of the units have a label located underneath the back of the unit bearing the following SKU numbers: XTV010001, XTV010001N, XTV010002, or XTV010002N. All units have “xtava” imprinted on the blower end of the hair dryer.

Incidents/Injuries:

The firm has received 193 reports of the hair dryers or power cords overheating, melting, exploding or catching fire, including 18 reports of burns and two reports of a minor electrical shock. Four of the reported burn incidents resulted in a blister to the hand, wrist or finger. One consumer reported a severe burn.

Sold At:

Online at Amazon.com, eBay.com, Walmart.com, Xtava.com, Groupon.com and other websites from October 2014 through August 2018 for between $15 and $60 when sold separately, and for between $20 and $80 when sold as part of a hair care kit.

Importer(s):

Xtava LLC, of New York

Manufactured In:

China
0 26 Read More
09/07/18 12:30 AM
Koehler-Bright Star Recalls Flashlights Due to Explosion Hazard

Recall Date: August 14, 2018
Recall Number: 18-204

Recall Summary

Name of Product:

WorkSafe 3-D cell flashlights

Hazard:

The flashlights are missing an encapsulation on a circuit board component which protects the flashlight from igniting an explosive environment, posing an injury hazard to the user or bystander.

Consumers should immediately stop using these recalled flashlights and inspect the flashlights for a missing date code on the body of the flashlights. If the recalled flashlight does not have a date code, contact Koehler-Bright Star for free replacement parts.

Consumer Contact:

Koehler-Bright Star at 800-788-1696 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, email at 2224LEDReplacement@kbs-inc.net or online at www.koehlerlighting.com and click on the Contact Us tab for more information.

Pictures available here: https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2018/Koehler-Bright-Star-Recalls-Flashlights-Due-to-Explosion-Hazard

Recall Details

Units:

About 7,500 (In addition, 200 were sold in Canada)

Description:

This recall involvesWorkSafe 3-D cell flashlights, model number 2224 LED. The model number is printed at the top right side of the text contained on the flashlight. The flashlight is safety orange with a black reflector assembly and black end cap and measures about 10.25 inches long by 2 inches in diameter. Only 3-D cell flashlights that do not contain a date code stamped on the body of the units are included in the recall.

Incidents/Injuries:

None reported

Sold At:

Koehler-Bright Star Industrial distributors, Grainger and online at Amazon.com from January 2017 through May 2018 for about $21.

Manufacturer(s):

Koehler-Bright Star, of Hanover, Pa.

Manufactured In:

United States
0 38 Read More
09/07/18 12:26 AM
Zebra Technologies Expands Recall of Power Supply Units for Thermal Printers Due to Fire Hazard:

Recall Date: August 2, 2018
Recall Number: 18-186

Recall Summary

Name of Product:

Power supply units for Zebra brand thermal printers

Hazard:

The power supply units can degrade and corrode over time when exposed to moisture and overheat, posing a fire hazard.

Printer owners should immediately stop using the recalled power supply units and contact Zebra for a free replacement power supply.

Consumer Contact:

Zebra at 800-658-3795 any time Monday through Friday, email PSUrecall@zebra.com or online at www.zebra.com and click on “Power Supply Recall” for more information.

Pictures available here: https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2018/Z...for-Ther0mal-Printers-Due-to-Fire-Hazard

Recall Details

Units:

About 1,370,000 (166,000 units were previously recalled in December 2016.)

Description:

This recall expansion involves power supply units that serve as the power source for models of Zebra manufactured thermal industrial printers (sold under the Zebra brand, including co-branded or re-branded) used to make bar codes and other commercial labels. The recall was originally announced in December 2016 and is now being expanded to include power supply units manufactured by the FSP Group between October 1, 2006 and December 31, 2012. The Zebra logo or FSP North America logo, date code and part number are printed on the power supply unit.

Incidents/Injuries:

The firm has received a total of 30 reports of the power supply units overheating or catching fire, including a fire that spread from the connector to the printer, damaging the printer and surrounding work space. No injuries have been reported.

Sold At:

Direct sales from Zebra and through Zebra distributors and resellers, including BlueStar Inc., Ingram Micro Data Capture Pos. Div., ScanSource and Wynit Distribution LLC, to businesses, hospitals and end-users from October 2006 through June 2013 for between $340 and $2,000 with Zebra printers and for about $130 as an aftermarket accessory.

Manufacturer(s):
FSP Group, of Taiwan

Manufactured In:
China
0 33 Read More
Business Related Discussion
09/06/18 04:01 PM
The Romex connectors in the picture "butt hole " connector
16 1,566 Read More
General Discussion Area
09/06/18 03:59 PM
Legal here in Canukistan Oct 13 I think
4 123 Read More
NEC & other Code issues
08/31/18 11:07 PM
Thanks for the ideas but I don't plan to do anything, the installation is compliant and there is no local requirement.for a buried connection to be accessible. I just wanted to rant. I am getting crabby in my old age.
13 438 Read More
NEC & other Code issues
08/31/18 06:00 AM
Thanks, we do lots of generators around here so it is a common question. I usually tell homeowners looking to have transfer equipment installed that, if this is a manual system, the listed panel interlock is usually the best way to go. The labor will be much less and the part, although ridiculous for what you get, is still pretty cheap.
The only thing they really need is a vacant double slot in the panel and moving some breakers around to get your backfed breaker next to the discionnect. You then have to be sure they lift the bonding jumper in the generator to get circuit current off the EGC. This will not be an SDS.
4 154 Read More
08/28/18 06:54 PM
They has had proffesionals there now, and the cables are now propery put in the ground with the right kind of cable, and terminations.
131 176,452 Read More
Occupational Safety Discussion
08/28/18 04:31 PM
I had a solution for the sweaty ears problem when I worked in a metal stamping plant.
Wad up a few layers of TP and stick them in the cups.
It sucked up the sweat and was simple enough to change when needed (which in summer could be every hour or so).
21 3,058 Read More
Canadian Electrical Code Topics
08/28/18 01:07 PM
I don't know if they ever revised it, but at one time the local Code for one of the cities in Ohio included a detail of how to attach the grounding conductor to a lug on a fiberglass pole.

Double-duh.
4 206 Read More
Electrical Theory and Applications
08/27/18 05:25 AM
I just have not had anything that complex and my wife really worries about me making things I am the only person on the planet who can fix. She played with 4000 CMOS in college and it doesn't scare her. In real life, the chips are all socketed and I have lots of spares. So far, 30 years in I have never had one fail but I guess you should never say things like that. I did blow an SSR in the spa heater but that was a shorted element. It looked perfect but it was zero ohms. (should be around 23)
3 154 Read More
Business Related Discussion
08/26/18 08:12 PM
Electure:

TY for explaining the 400/320! That’s a bad habit I have, thinking everyone knows what I’m talking about
I’m sure the permit process that will be required before the Construction Office permits will take time here. Hey, it’s New Jersey!! I heard the medical dispensery one town over was almost 2 years for State approvals.
15 416 Read More
Featured:

2017 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2017 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman

Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Top Posters(30 Days)
Admin 13
Popular Topics(Views)
249,449 Are you busy