ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Shout Box
Recent Posts
Recall notice: Southwire wi-fi wall switches
by sparkyinak. 03/15/18 06:03 PM
Goodman Manufacturing Recalls Modular Blowers
by Admin. 03/13/18 10:40 PM
MAAX Spas Recalls Hot Tubs and Swim Spas
by Admin. 03/13/18 10:29 PM
New in the Gallery:
Housebilding DIY wiring
SE cable question
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 25 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Safety News and Product Recalls
03/15/18 10:03 PM
0 49 Read More
03/14/18 02:16 PM
Eaton has identified a potential nonconformance that results in an exposed, 42 AWG wire (0.07 mm diameter) used in the indicating circuit of the CUBEFuse. The indicating wire may be

exposed to the front or back of the fuse, thereby eliminating its finger safe characteristics.

Any nonconforming CUBEFuse will still interrupt overloads and short-circuits.

(see attached)
0 58 Read More
03/14/18 02:40 AM
Goodman Manufacturing Recalls Modular Blowers Due to Fire Hazard

Recall Date: March 5, 2018
Recall Number: 18-115

Recall Summary

Name of Product:
Modular blowers

The labels found on the serial plate have incorrect electrical information that could result in installers and servicers using undersized wiring or incorrect fuse/circuit breaker parts, posing a fire hazard.

Remedy: Replace, Repair
Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled modular blowers and contact Goodman for a free inspection and to receive a new product label and electrical instructions. For any units that were installed incorrectly, Goodman will replace the wiring and/or fuse/circuit breaker protection at no cost to the consumer.

Consumer Contact:
Goodman toll-free at 844-633-4295 from 5 a.m. to 7 p.m. CT Monday through Friday or online at and click on “Product Recall” at the right hand corner of the page for more information.

Pictures available here:

Recall Details

About 1,650 in the U.S. (In addition, about 80 were sold in Canada)

This recall involves modular blowers used with heating and cooling systems. The recalled modular blowers were sold both separately and as part of complete heating and cooling systems. They were sold under the Goodman, Amana, and Daikin brand names. The recalled products have model numbers beginning MBR1200AA, MBR1600AA, MBVC1600AA and MBVC2000AA, and serial numbers beginning 1704, 1705 and 1708. Some recalled modular blowers were installed with no brand name listed. Consumers can identify these recalled units with the above model and serial numbers. Model and serial number labels are located on the front panel of the unit.

None reported

Sold At:
Heating and cooling equipment dealers nationwide from April 2017 through October 2017 for between $350 and $750.

Goodman Manufacturing Company, L.P., of Houston, Texas

Manufactured In:
United States
0 45 Read More
03/14/18 02:29 AM
MAAX Spas Recalls Hot Tubs and Swim Spas Due to Fire Hazard

Recall Date: March 13, 2018
Recall Number: 18-120

Recall Summary

Name of Product:
Maax Spas hot tubs and swim spas

The UV generator inside the hot tub and swim spa can ignite while in use, posing a fire hazard.

Remedy: Repair
Consumers should immediately stop using the hot tubs and swim spas and contact a MAAX Spas’ dealer for a free repair.

Consumer Contact:
MAAX Spas at 800-413-2704 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Arizona local time, Monday through Friday, email at or online at or for more information.

Pictures available here:

Recall Details

About 550 in the U.S. (In addition, about 630 were sold in Canada)

This recall involves MAAX Spas hot tubs and swim spas containing a Delta UV generator. The generator is used to sanitize the water and plumbing inside the hot tub or swim spa. The generator’s model number is EA-4H-5. The model numbers for the hot tubs and swim spas are: 461; 470; 471; 472; 480; 481; 482; 780; 781; 5200; 5300; 5400; 5600; 7000; 7500; 8000; 8500; 9000; DT6; ENV; ES; ESX; GRD; LT6; MON; MT6; NUG; PRS; RB4; RL4; RS1; RS2; XB4; XL4; XSD; XSL; XSP; and XSR. The model name is the first 3 or 4 digits of the hot tub or swim spa serial number, and is engraved into a silver plate on the lower right or lower left corner of the front side of the hot tub or swim spa.

Maax Spas has received six reports of generators in the affected hot tubs and swim spas igniting and causing damage to the generators and surrounding hot tub or swim spa components. There have been no reports of injuries.

Sold At:
Independent hot tub and swim spa retailers nationwide, from January 2012 through July 2015. Hot tubs were sold for about $4,000 to $15,000. Swim spas were sold for about $16,000 to $30,000.

MAAX Spas Industries Corp., Chandler, Arizona

Manufactured In:
United States
0 42 Read More
03/14/18 02:19 AM
InSinkErator® Recalls SinkTop™ Switch Accessory for Garbage Disposals Due to Fire Hazard

Recall Date: March 6, 2018
Recall Number: 18-116

Recall Summary
Name of Product:
InSinkErator Single Outlet SinkTop Switches

Water can get into the power module, posing a fire hazard.

Remedy: Replace
Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled switches and contact InSinkErator for a free SinkTop switch replacement.

Consumer Contact:
InSinkErator toll-free at 855-215-5695 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday or online at and click on “Safety Notice”, or for more information.

Pictures available here:

Recall Details

About 1,400,000 (In addition, about 28 were sold in Canada)

This recall involves InSinkErator Single Outlet SinkTop Switches. The air activated switch mounts to the sink or countertop and is an alternative to the traditional wall switch for a garbage disposal. The model numbers are 76703, STS-SOSN, 78251 and 74300, and can be found on the back of the power module. InSinkErator is written on the front of the power module. The switches were sold with a chrome, white, or satin nickel button/bezel as an accessory for garbage disposals. Garbage disposals activated by a wall switch are not affected by this recall.

InSinkErator has received 40 reports of water causing overheating damage to the power module and outlet beneath the sink. No injuries have been reported.

Sold At:
The switches were sold between 2005 and October 2017 at home improvement stores, online websites and through plumbing contractors and outlets for between about $50 and $90.

Tecmark of Mentor, Ohio

InSinkErator of Racine, Wis.

Manufactured In:
United States
0 33 Read More
Alternative Energy
03/13/18 05:15 PM

A 'basic' on US solar....

The solar output (AC) is utility tied either thru a backfed cb, or a 'line tap' ahead of the main cb. The output is dependent on utility voltage; hence NO utility voltage, no solar output into the grid.

A system with DC output from the panels is connected to an inverter, them a disconnect, and then the utility tie.

A system with micro inverters has the AC output into a solar sub panel, then the disco (if required) then the utility tie.

The technology is changing very quickly, with new equipment which reduces the "parts"; soon it may be an 'all in one'

Note that there are many variations, including the Tesla energy storage system, which is showing up sporadically.
5 169 Read More
Electrical Nostalgia
03/10/18 01:47 PM
That desbar style I've had for several years. I just got the other two. Habitat Restore has been a good source for this stuff, these all came from there.

The Circle F and Sierra both have green grounding screws. The Sierra also has push in wiring option also. It seems to be a Spec Grade item because it's quite well built and seems to have brass mounting strap. I've also not seen a receptacle to have the voltage and amperage on the face as it has. When did Sierra stop making devices? I remember they too had a desbar like receptacle but it fit a decorator plate that was narrower.

There were three of the Circle F rockers, and all seemed to be NOS. I just got one though.
8 1,895 Read More
Non-US Electrical Systems & Trades
03/10/18 04:53 AM
Sorry to come into this so late, I would like to give you an explanation as to how an electrode boiler works.
Simply, water out of the tap (faucet), has "impurities" in it, that is not to say the water is impure, what I'm talking about is the trace elements that could be in the water, it could be cobalt, magnesium, calcium, you name it, but they are there, but this chemical make-up, affects the electrical resistance of the water in the electrode boiler, this is used to great effect.
As you said above, you had a boiler that tried to heat de-ionised water, that for a start is not going to work that well.
The reason behind that, is because pure water does not conduct electricity and to be fair this sort of water is bad for our health, if it is drank on a regular basis.

But, the electrode boiler has 3 live probes inside the heating chamber, at different heights, normally 50mm between them, there is a temperature probe below the electrodes, this starts and stops the heating via a relay or contactor.
Normally, there is also a "run dry" switch at the bottom of the chamber that turns off the power to the electrodes should the chamber have no water.

Effectively what happens, when the chamber is full, the heating process starts, current flows through all of the probes, the water is boiled pretty much instantly through electrical resistance through the water.

Not long after I finished my time as an Electrician, I got sent to a factory, that used a large electrode boiler that used 400V, to create steam for the presses (it was a clothing factory, when we had them here), I was scared by the size of the thing, the tank was massive and someone had mucked around with the tank pressure switch, I walked back to my van to get my Duspol tester and the tank split down the side, that bought the whole factory to a halt.
Good times.......
3 557 Read More
General Discussion Area
03/10/18 04:04 AM
I would like to ask OP what sort of "photo-cell" he is actually using.
It could be that the photo-cell is either set up in the wrong mode or the sensitivity level is set wrong, these things are not "plug and play".
At the end of the day all these things are is a voltage in through two terminals and a single change-over contact on the output (NO/NC), with a common terminal
4 421 Read More
03/10/18 03:39 AM
I'm sorry, but we don't do DIY questions here at ECN, you need to engage the services of a qualified Electrician.
Even so, anything in a wet area needs to be permanently connected, with cable glands for the inlet and outlet sides and sealed to IP55 at least.

Silicone sealant is available in neutral-cure as well, Texas-Ranger, that acid stuff is only for roofing and sealing around plumbing exposures.

{I will lock this thread in 3 days}
3 212 Read More
03/06/18 12:20 PM
Ewwwww, the magnetic trip is a lot more than questionnable! Thanks for the link!

The German-made ones might be different though since they were clearly built to VDE specifications - or at least labelled, this being FPE.
24 5,313 Read More
03/01/18 11:00 PM
Typical ways of bypassing Diazed fuses are wire (individual strands) wrapped around the ceramic body or a nail driven through the metal end caps and ceramic body. The worst kind is usually found in metal shops with a lathe, a solid metal bottle "fuse".

I've been guilty of "repairing" a 20 amp fuse myself, although I knew it only fed a single motor with additional protection of a 25 amp MCB upstream. The MCB was the actual protection for the old motor, the fuse was only necessary to avoid changing the historic wiring (ca.-1920) for a quick test run. Doing that I discovered that a single strand from a 1,5 mm2 conductor probably takes around 16 amps, maybe a bit less - it blew within less than a minute. A second strand fixed that issue. The next time we ran the motor we fitted a proper fuse of course.
15 822 Read More
General Discussion Area
02/28/18 10:16 PM
Another scene from "Green Acres" has it that the power company had 120V on the power pole adjacent to their house, but for some reason the power company couldn't install a service on the house. So the power company connected a duplex 120V 15A outlet between the two wires (without any overcurrent protection) near the top of the pole, and gave Oliver an extension cord. He climbs the pole to plug it in, and then the commentator says that this might be the real reason for the big Northeast USA blackout in 1965, as Oliver plugs the cord in.
47 19,139 Read More
Canadian Electrical Code Topics
02/27/18 11:17 AM
Hi Guys,

I'm planning for a startup of Printed circuit board. The manufacturing and assembly of PCB has to be fully automated and it should not take up the space between components. I think surface mounting will reduce the labor cost and copper parts will take only minimum space. I would like to go for a very user-friendly texture and design of the PCB. Heard from my colleagues that biodegradable PCB are going to be the trend in the coming years.

I would like to go for a prototype with some electronic manufacturers initially for further inspection and plugging in the PCB. One of my friend had suggested me about printed circuit board manufacturers Toronto
. Awaiting your valuable suggestions in this matter. Please do care to share

0 68 Read More
NEC & other Code issues
02/26/18 06:06 PM
Just walking around looking at people's homes, I seldom actually find a panel that meets 110.26 in the strictest sense. It seems that when the original electrician placed it and established working space in front of it he also created an open space that seems to good to waste for the homeowner. There always seems to be something stored there.
When I set the panel in my house I built it into a small enclosure that is too shallow to actually let you store anything inside and centered behind a 32" bi fold door. So far my wife has not tried to put anything there. I think blocking a door is just not something people are likely to do,.
The door allows ready access and if you really need to get into the panel, the door lifts off the pins and you can set it aside giving you 32" of clear space. (it is still around 30 with the door open).
7 350 Read More
General Discussion Area
02/24/18 09:52 AM
The only thing I will caution you about is a SSR will need a heat sink if you are running 10a through it. Plan on shedding about 7 watts. This is not a huge heat sink and the cabinet may be plenty. On my spa controller I am dealing with more like 11kw of load and that is around 16-17 watts each for 2 SSRs. They are screwed tight to the cabinet with heat sink goo and a finned heat sink is on the other side with the goo under it. The thing never gets more than slightly warm (35c or so in a 20c ambient)
4 197 Read More
02/22/18 04:35 PM
Whirlpool Recalls KitchenAid Electric Kettles Due to Burn Hazard

Recall Date: February 20, 2018
Recall Number: 18-103

Recall Summary

Name of Product:
KitchenAid electric kettles

The handle can loosen and separate from the kettle, causing hot contents to spill, posing a burn hazard.

Remedy: Replace
Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled kettles and contact Whirlpool for a free replacement.

Consumer Contact:
Whirlpool Corporation at 800-874-0608 from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, or online at for more information.

Pictures available here:

Recall Details

About 40,200 (In addition, 47,300 units were sold in Canada and 1,600 in Mexico)About 9,600

This recall involves KitchenAid 1.7 Liter Electric Kettles. The kettles were sold in stainless steel, red, black, white, liquid graphite and cocoa silver. Model numbers and serial numbers are located on the bottom of the kettle. KitchenAid is written on the front of the kettles. A complete list of model and serial numbers included in this recall is posted on the firm’s website at

Whirlpool Corporation has received 79 reports in the U.S. (19 in Canada) of handles separating, including three reports in the US (one in Canada) of minor burn injuries.

Sold At:
Bed Bath & Beyond, Dillard's, Fry’s Electronics, Kitchen Kaboodle, Kohl’s, Navy Exchange, Target, Williams Sonoma, and other home improvement, home appliance and retail stores and online at as well as other online retailers from September 2013 through February 2018 for about $100 to $120.

Co-Win Global Ltd, of Hong Kong

Whirlpool Corp., of Benton Harbor, Mich.

Manufactured In:
0 89 Read More

2017 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2017 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman

Member Spotlight
Attic Rat
Attic Rat
Bergen Co.,N.J. USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Top Posters(30 Days)