ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat Box
Recent Posts
NEC 2017_392.22(B)(1)(b)
_What's the smallest width

by gfretwell - 09/21/19 11:37 PM
Another weird NEC code question on Feeder Taps
by gfretwell - 09/21/19 11:35 PM
Kichler Lighting Recalls Pendant Lights
by Admin - 09/18/19 08:47 PM
Does a 'normal 3ph-AC motor' include capacitors?
by gfretwell - 09/18/19 01:20 AM
NEC Question_Cord-&-Plug EGC shorter then Neutral
by pcsailor - 09/16/19 05:26 AM
New in the Gallery:
What is this for?
Plug terminals
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 15 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
NEC & other Code issues Jump to new posts
Re: NEC 2017_392.22(B)(1)(b)_What's the smallest width gfretwell Yesterday at 03:37 AM
It sounds like you prepared and I bet you are getting your card.
6 113 Read More
Re: Another weird NEC code question on Feeder Taps gfretwell Yesterday at 03:35 AM
I never saw NM in any commercial installation. It was always EMT and maybe some FMC or MC cable for whips.
6 99 Read More
Safety News and Product Recalls Jump to new posts
Kichler Lighting Recalls Pendant Lights Admin 09/19/19 12:47 AM
Kichler Lighting Recalls Pendant Lights Due to Fire Hazard:

Recall Date: September 18, 2019
Recall Number: 19-206

Recall Summary

Name of product:
Elan Shayla Mini Pendant Lights

Hazard:
The light sockets can overheat, melt, or catch fire, posing a fire hazard.

Remedy:
Replace
Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled lighting fixtures and contact the store where they were purchased or Kichler Lighting directly for a free replacement lighting fixture.

Consumer Contact:
Kichler Lighting toll-free at 866-558-5706 from 8 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. ET Monday through Friday or online at www.kichler.com and click on “Safety Information” at the bottom of the page for more information.

Pictures available here:
https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2019/Kichler-Lighting-Recalls-Pendant-Lights-Due-to-Fire-Hazard

Recall Details
Units:
About 750 (In addition, 289 were sold in Canada)

Description:
This recall involves Elan Shayla Mini Pendant Lights Models 83162, 83163, and 83164. They are chrome multi-light modern/contemporary clear glass cylinder pendant lights with one, three or nine pendant lights. The recalled chrome and clear glass multi-light fixtures each have their model numbers and date codes printed on stickers located on the inside of the ceiling canopy and on the product packaging. The product date codes are comprised of a 2-digit month and 2-digit year, for example 0513 (May 2013) through 0514 (May 2014).

Incidents/Injuries:
Kichler has received about 84 consumer reports of burnt fixtures, wires or sockets, including three reports of fixture fires. No property damage or injuries have been reported.

Sold At:
Lighting showrooms nationwide from May 2013 through March 2015 for between $45 and $350.

Importer(s):
Kichler Lighting LLC, of Cleveland, Ohio

Manufactured In:
China
0 26 Read More
Re: Does a 'normal 3ph-AC motor' include capacitors? gfretwell 09/18/19 05:20 AM
I see what happened, There is a typo in the code reference. They really mean table 430.37
4 110 Read More
Re: NEC Question_Cord-&-Plug EGC shorter then Neutral pcsailor 09/16/19 09:26 AM
Thanks.

Confusing wording in this code section.

Phil
6 124 Read More
Re: Another NEC 2017 Question_240/24VAC Txfr-Neutral R pcsailor 09/16/19 09:22 AM
Thanks for the update with this question.

I have about 450 questions from two NEC courses I took.
This specific question is from a St. Cloud Community College I took about 18 months ago.

The other course is Sunde School, which is basically considered the best in Eastern Minnesota.

Phil
11 244 Read More
Canadian Electrical Code Topics Jump to new posts
Re: Service Question HotLine1 09/14/19 05:43 PM
Greg:

I copied the pic and zoomed in, the telco, or cable lines are drilled thru to the 2nd and 3rd floors also. Looks like a caulk patch around the pipe at the penetration also.

The building facade does not look real new, but the windows look like replacements compared to the sills.

Do we have any members in Nova Scotia??
7 189 Read More
General Discussion Area Jump to new posts
Re: What is this? NORCAL 09/12/19 04:55 AM
Somewhere I have a old EFCOR catalog, wish knew where it was, might have a chance of solving the mystery.....
3 133 Read More
Re: Whirlpool Recalls Glass Cooktops w/ Touch Controls LongRunner 09/07/19 09:25 PM
Seems quite naïve to entrust touch controls with red-hot elements like that. rolleyes

Even though this particular recall won't apply to me, I'll keep the incident in mind for any future cooktop purchases...
1 63 Read More
Decathlon USA Recalls Carabiners Admin 09/06/19 11:36 PM
Decathlon USA Recalls Carabiners Due to Risk of Serious Injury or Death:

Recall Date: August 29, 2019
Recall Number: 19-192

Recall Summary

Name of product:
Rocky Screwgate carabiners

Hazard:
Incorrect assembly can cause the carabiner to unlock while in use, posing a risk of serious injury or death to the user.

Remedy:
Refund
Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled carabiners and return them to any Decathlon store for a full refund.

Consumer Contact:
Decathlon toll-free at 866-480-3565 from 9 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. PT Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday or Saturday, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Wednesdays and from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Sunday, email at customer.service@decathlon.com or online at www.decathlon.com and click on the Product Recalls section for more information.

Pictures available here:
https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2019/D...s-Due-to-Risk-of-Serious-Injury-or-Death

Recall Details
Units:
About 50

Description:
This recall involves Rocky Screwgate aluminum and pear shaped Carabiners with a small gate and screwgate. They were sold under the SIMOND brand in yellow (item number 1760147) and blue (item number 1759997). The brand name is engraved on the side of the product. The item number was printed on the carboard that was attached to the product. Carabiners are typically used by climbers as connectors or as extenders to anchor a climber.

Incidents/Injuries:
None reported

Sold At:
Decathlon stores nationwide and online at www.decathlon.com from December 2018 through July 2019 for about $8.

Importer(s):
Decathlon USA LLC, of Emeryville, Calif.

Distributor(s):
Decathlon USA LLC, of Emeryville, Calif.

Manufactured In:
France
0 41 Read More
Re: GEC water & rod (1 or 2?) Steve T 09/04/19 02:01 PM
Thanks all. Per response from NFPA, a rod, pipe, or plate electrode that supplements a water pipe is considered a 'single' electrode and has to be 25 ohms or less to earth, or be supplemented. I guess I was just getting hung up by the term 'system' as used in 250.50; and offering the possibility that a 'system' of multiple electrodes might not be interpreted as a 'single' electrode.
4 266 Read More
Photos for General Discussion Jump to new posts
Re: Masterbuilt Controller Burnout sabrown 09/03/19 07:43 PM
Besides a possible issue with poor connection inside the device, which is noted in the referred to discussion thread, it is very possible that the unit plugs in very close to the heating element and the heat generated by the element is transferred to the plug. With a smoker, this heat would be much more constant that say like a electric skillet or frying pan which are only on for a short time. These have been hot to the point that I do not remove them until the unit has been off and cooled down.

An extension cord being used with the device, especially a 16 gauge one, will add to the heat as the cord will heat up and does not act as a heat sink, but that is at the end that would normally plug into the wall, not the end shown unless the cord is very short. 60 foot (about 20 meters) extension cord and a constant load at 12+ amps is not a good combination.

Another possible issue is where this is being used. Whereas a frying pan would be used in a conditioned space and such connections are benefited by such, I am not so sure I would have a smoker in my house. What is the temperature where it is being used? Is that ambient temperature outside the ambient temperature operating range of the smoker?

A final cause can be moisture or extremely high humidity.

There may be other causes that I have not thought of, and mayhap the designer did not think of these issues or those above.

Good luck,
Shane
1 82 Read More
Re: Forum Updates Coming Soon. Admin 09/03/19 06:36 PM
Another Test Embed:

[Linked Image]
21 576 Read More
Re: Anybody Remember this? Bill Addiss 09/03/19 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by CharlieE
Bill, I remember Bennie. BTW, I got you e-mail and am just dropping by. I may be able to shake enough time loose to join into a conversation or two.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis, Utility Power Guy

Hello Charlie!

It's been awhile. Nice to hear from you. Your participation would be most welcome!

smile
Bill
6 256 Read More
Non-US Electrical Systems & Trades Jump to new posts
Re: 1897 paper on 110-220 incandescent lamps Texas_Ranger 08/31/19 04:21 PM
I'm fairly sure that even in a totally new system, the household voltage would stay well below 1000 V for safety reasons. And since large transformers are still easier to build than solid-state inverters I guess the distribution network would likely still use AC.
10 398 Read More
Featured:

2020 National Electrical Code
2020 National Electrical
Code (NEC)

2017 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2017 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman

Member Spotlight
electure
electure