ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat Box
Recent Posts
Where is Everyone?
by Texas_Ranger - 03/30/20 06:51 PM
uk electrical trainee to usa quals
by Texas_Ranger - 03/30/20 06:43 PM
Ground fault remover :-)
by dsk - 03/30/20 01:45 AM
Do you count seconds?
by Bill Addiss - 03/29/20 11:12 PM
Pole climbing in Norway
by Trumpy - 03/28/20 11:43 PM
New in the Gallery:
Facebook follies, bad wiring
FPE in Germany pt.2
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Scott35), 20 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
General Discussion Area Jump to new posts
Re: Where is Everyone? Texas_Ranger Yesterday at 10:51 PM
In Austria, everyone was hoping for the restrictions to be eased off after Easter but it's not looking good right now, even though the figures look very promising to me - today the increase rate of infections went below 10% for the first time since the outbreak! The progression is essentially linear instead of exponential as they'd initially feared. The government on the other hand keeps talking about implementing even stricter measures, without actually naming them. Everything's closed except for essential production, supermarkets and small grocery stores, drug stores, pharmacies, car and bicycle repair stores and tobacconists. Public transport has been cut down to weekend timetables and people are advised to avoid it. The city of Vienna is sending out 50 Euro taxi vouchers to all senior citizens, little sense as that makes. As of Wednesday, masks will be required in supermarkets, we'll see if they can actually find enough to enforce that.

Oddly enough, construction sites haven't been shut down yet, on the contrary. One of the largest contractors closed all their sites but re-opened them late last week.
6 147 Read More
Re: uk electrical trainee to usa quals Texas_Ranger Yesterday at 10:43 PM
You'll find that testing and inspection as done in Europe isn't really a thing in the US - inspections are mainly limited to visual inspection and functional testing. No IR testing, no PFC/PSC testing, no Zs, nothing. I think there's an older thread on this board on this very topic.
4 54 Read More
Non-US Electrical Systems & Trades Jump to new posts
Re: Ground fault remover :-) dsk Yesterday at 05:45 AM
What do we trust or not regarding safety and markings?

I have marked with red those institutions where I have generally found good quality, so I usually trust things with those marks. The other ones may be OK, I just have no experience with those.

So the 2 more that is not approval markings: The CE marks.

CE China Export are just that, and almost equal to The CE from Europe. The European CE was ment to be a quality mark, but it is (based on strict rules) just a mark that tells you that the maker states it to be according to regulations.

The "Ground fault remover" has none of these, and the most important, the visual inspection and we always shold do does not tell me about more than medium minus quality. Since I don't want my house or where I am to burn down I would prefer this and equal units to be banned.

When traveling abroad I use to take a power strip frome home and change the plug to the standard in the country I am visiting. Regarding voltage and frequency I have to pick what to bring, usually it is phone, pc and shaver, all those are universal so it is no problem. Sometimes I bring shoe dryer, and that has to be for the right voltage. The wattage are usually of 15 W so it is no big loads.
5 224 Read More
Business Related Discussion Jump to new posts
Re: Do you count seconds? Bill Addiss Yesterday at 03:12 AM
Originally Posted by Trumpy
Bill,
Did you also know that when you open the "weather" app on your iPad and hold it over your head when it's raining, it turns into a compact, yet high tech umbrella?

grin
Now you're playin with me Mike !!
laugh

My grandkids sometimes can't believe what I don't know. But I'm sure I know a lot of things they need to learn.

Bill
23 1,398 Read More
Photo Gallery Jump to new posts
Re: Facebook follies, bad wiring Trumpy 03/29/20 03:49 AM
I take it that when you move the disconnect handle to the top, it shorts out on the wire and turns everything off?
1 986 Read More
Re: Pole climbing in Norway Trumpy 03/29/20 03:43 AM
Pole climbing over here in New Zealand was never really a thing.
If you needed to get up a pole carrying 400/230V lines, you used an extension- type
pole ladder.
The same if you needed access to the 11kV lines above the LV lines.

Once bucket trucks happened on the scene in the 80's, use of pole ladders was confined to line crews moving stuff on poles during pole change-overs and faults staff replacing pole-top fuses.

Considering that wooden poles here all have pole steps on them for the higher voltages, you just lean a pole ladder up against them and climb the pole that way.
However, bucket trucks have pretty much taken the need to climb poles at all, due to Health and Safety legislation.
8 351 Read More
Electrical Theory and Applications Jump to new posts
Re: Mourning the death of this forum! HotLine1 03/25/20 10:45 PM
Joe:

Yes, I think we are the “experienced” guys that have been around the block a few laps.

I prefer “experienced” as opposed to not spring chicken, but that’s no issue. Yes I have once or twice dropped in on MH in the last year+

I guess those of us who are still around need to start talking about something
9 179 Read More
Re: 15 amp outlets removed due to cell phones grich 03/23/20 10:59 PM
In our downtown area a few years ago, the perimeter fence for a cell site was cut, and homeless folk were plugging phones into the HVAC service outlet on the outside of the building. Then an extension cord appeared and electric heaters were attempted as someone tried to build a camp along the fence.. They blew the breaker and that ended all the fun. That area was cleared of brush and is being gentrified, booting out the homeless camps.
3 561 Read More
Re: Trying times upon us grich 03/23/20 10:53 PM
We're still working, spreading out workers in the office and getting work-from-home setups to work. Our company's VPN capacity is strained.

Our city isn't totally locked-down yet. I expect my movement as a broadcast engineer will not be restricted. Someone's got to keep the information wheels turning.

Watching a 34-year-old NASCAR race yesterday was...interesting. I did see some live sports over the weekend...Australian Rules Football played week one with empty stadiums. They then announced a suspension of the season. My wife and I found a 30-day trial of Acorn TV streaming video...lots of British shows, with a little Oz sprinkled in. We're binge-watching Brokenwood Mysteries right now, which Trumpy might have seen an episode or two, since it's produced in NZ.
4 184 Read More
Re: Can you identify this device? - hearing impaired JoeTestingEngr 03/22/20 04:02 PM
I haven't seen that device but I was thinking how easy it would be to build something like it. If I had a hearing impaired friend who needed one, the intercom interface would be the only unknown. Doorbell voltage is either there or it isn't. Telephone has a huge difference between DC Tip & Ring and AC Ringer. The intercom is the only thing that I didn't just design in my head. I would opto couple all three to drive super bright LEDs on the annunciator.
Joe
2 287 Read More
Re: Qualifying Party BigB 03/19/20 01:04 PM
Good points. I do plan on talking with legal people....IF I even decide to go this way. I could also just putter along doing the occasional small job and service work by myself, somehow that is looking like a much more stress free option.
3 157 Read More
Re: Anyone use rubber amalgamating tape? crselectric 03/14/20 05:16 PM
I'll take a few rolls
CRS Electric, Chris R Shatterly
744 1/2 Adams St.
Albany, Ca 94706

Thanks
3 617 Read More
NEC & other Code issues Jump to new posts
Re: Reduced grounding wire in NMC gfretwell 03/11/20 02:33 AM
I suspect the same formula that lets you use a smaller ground in 250.122 for sizes over 10ga cable (ungrounded conductors) was extended down to the "small conductors" in the 50s. My 75 book has a table that looks like 250.122 except it is 250-95.
Now if I go back to the 1959 code, I find the smoking gun. I looked to see exactly when it changed. 1965 still has the 16ga wire but the 68 code has it as full circuit conductor size for 14-10 so it must have been in the 68 ROP.

[Linked Image from gfretwell.com]
10 334 Read More
Re: International Wire Colour Codes Texas_Ranger 03/10/20 06:05 PM
Poland seems to have used the pre-harmonised German system too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPPBoZ2LFkM
102 343,852 Read More
Occupational Safety Discussion Jump to new posts
Re: Prostate Cancer IS a thing..... tomn 03/06/20 09:42 PM
I had a PSA test in 2005 & my PSA test number had increased. After more tests, the discovered that I had prostate cancer. I had my prostate removed. I am now 15 years cancer free! I was lucky that they caught it early.
GET Checked.
7 657 Read More
Featured:

2020 National Electrical Code
2020 National Electrical
Code (NEC)

2017 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2017 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman

Member Spotlight
CDS