ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Shout Box
Recent Posts
Ronald and Nancy Reagan in GE commercials
by Bill Addiss. 03/13/19 08:12 PM
Carflex in an RNC connector?
by gfretwell. 03/12/19 05:21 PM
Reverse-feeding transformer in PV system?
by HotLine1. 03/11/19 08:37 AM
Vintage stage lighting and equipment catalogs
by Albert. 03/09/19 06:21 PM
TJX Recalls Heating Pads
by Admin. 03/08/19 09:33 PM
New in the Gallery:
What is this for?
Plug terminals
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 9 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Electrical Nostalgia
03/14/19 12:12 AM
Didn't know that!

Interesting, Thanks for the info and the Link!

Bill
1 64 Read More
NEC & other Code issues
03/12/19 09:21 PM
Yup that is an ad program on your work computer. I don't remember what you do to kill it but somewhere in that popup should be a hint of what the program is. Then google that to get removal instructions.
6 108 Read More
Alternative Energy
03/11/19 12:37 PM
I see where this is going, and availability (off the shelf) and 'special order (8-12 weeks) plus high price seems to be the major reasoning for this application question.

I use this solution when a project like what you describe comes in for plan review and release. A email, and/or phone call to the EC or responsible party requiring a signed and sealed letter with info from a NJ Lic. PE/EE that the proposed installation is approved by that PE/EE.

I am not aware of any situations that are related to the dry type transformer 'backfeed' installations. Also, FWIW, to the best of my knowledge, our utility company uses the standard pad mount transformers for direct grid tie solar installs that are utility owned,
1 55 Read More
Electrical Nostalgia
03/09/19 10:21 PM
I know at least a few of us are interested in old theater lighting and related equipment, so I think you'll enjoy this fantastic resource I stumbled across: Vintage Theatre Catalogs

Lots of photos of old switchboards and other items. It goes on and on...just keep clicking on the "Older Posts" button at the lower right.
0 45 Read More
Safety News and Product Recalls
03/09/19 01:33 AM
TJX Recalls Heating Pads Due to Fire and Burn Hazards; Sold Exclusively at T.J. Maxx and Marshalls Stores:

Recall Date: March 8, 2019
Recall Number: 19-077

Recall Summary

Name of product:
Aroma Home USB Heated Hottie heating pads
Hazard:
The heating pads can overheat during use, posing fire and burn hazards.

Remedy: Refund

Consumers should immediately stop using the heating pads and return them to any T.J. Maxx or Marshalls store for a full refund.

Consumer Contact:

T.J. Maxx at 800-926-6299 from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. ET Monday through Friday or online at www.tjmaxx.com and click on Contact Us at the bottom of the page. Marshalls toll-free at 888-627-7425 from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. ET Monday through Friday or online at www.marshalls.com and click on Contact Us at the bottom of the page for more information.

Pictures available here: https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2019/T...usively-at-T-J-Maxx-and-Marshalls-Stores

Recall Details

Units:
About 5,600 (in addition, about 3,600 were sold in Canada)

Description:

This recall involves animal-themed sequined heating pads that are heated by USB connection to a PC, laptop, power bank, car charger or other 5V USB port. The heating pads were sold in four styles: French Bull Dog, Sequin Cat Head, Sequin Fox Head and Sequin Blue Owl. A use and care label bearing the name “Aroma Home” is sewn into the bottom pocket of the heating pad where the USB cord emerges.

Incidents/Injuries:
None reported in the U.S.

Sold At:
T.J. Maxx and Marshalls stores nationwide from November 2018 through January 2019 for $13.

Importer(s):
The TJX Companies Inc., of Framingham, Mass.

Manufactured In:
China
0 42 Read More
03/09/19 01:25 AM
Harbor Freight Tools Recalls Propane Torches Due to Burn Hazard:

Recall Date: February 27, 2019
Recall Number: 19-074

Recall Summary

Name of Product:
Greenwood propane torches

Hazard:

The trigger on the torches that engages the flame can fail to disengage when the trigger is no longer pressed, posing a burn hazard.

Remedy: Replace

Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled torches and return them to any Harbor Freight Tools location for a free replacement propane torch.

Consumer Contact:

Harbor Freight Tools at 800-444-3353 Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. PT, email at recall@harborfreight.com or online at www.harborfreight.com and click on Recall Safety Information on the bottom of the homepage for more information.

Pictures available here: https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2019/Harbor-Freight-Tools-Recalls-Propane-Torches-Due-to-Burn-Hazard

Recall Details

Units:
About 150,000

Description:

This recall involves two models of the Greenwood-branded propane torches. The torches with no igniter have SKU number 61589 and the torches with a push button igniter have SKU number 61595. The torches have a steel nozzle, a flow valve, a blue grip and a black or orange hose. The SKU number is printed on a sticker located on the pipe that leads to the nozzle on the product packaging and on the manual. Only propane torches that do not have markings on the handles or brass knobs are included in this recall.

Incidents/Injuries:

Harbor Freight has received two reports of the trigger failing to disengage, including one report of a burn injury.

Sold At:

Harbor Freight Tools stores nationwide and online at www.harborfreight.com from November 2013 through October 2018 for between $20 and $30.

Importer(s):
Harbor Freight Tools, of Calabasas, Calif.

Distributor(s):

Manufactured In:
China
0 22 Read More
03/09/19 01:20 AM
Harbor Freight Tools Recalls 12V Rechargeable Flashlights Due to Overheating and Burn Hazards:

Recall Date: February 27, 2019
Recall Number: 19-073

Recall Summary

Name of product:
80 Lumen 12V Rechargeable Flashlights

Hazard:

The flashlight can overheat while charging, posing a burn hazard to consumers.

Remedy: Refund

Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled flashlights, and return them to any Harbor Freight Tools location for a refund in the form of a $5 Harbor Freight Tools gift card.

Consumer Contact:

Harbor Freight Tools at 800-444-3353 from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. PT Monday through Friday, email at recall@harborfreight.com or online at www.harborfreight.com and click on “Recall Safety Information” on the bottom of the homepage for more information.

Pictures available here: https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2019/H...ghts-Due-to-Overheating-and-Burn-Hazards

Recall Details

Units:
About 500,000

Description:
This recall involves the Harbor Freight 80 Lumen 12v rechargeable flashlights. The small black flashlight has a soft white button located on the side to turn the flashlight on and off. The base of the flashlight is a charger that fits into any standard vehicle 12V power port to charge. The recalled flashlight’s SKU number is 64109 and can be found on the sticker label that also bears the product barcode. The flashlight is approximately 5 inches long.

Incidents/Injuries:
Harbor Freight Tools has received two reports of the flashlight overheating. No reports of injury.

Sold Exclusively At:
Harbor Freight Tools stores nationwide from August 2018 through January 2019 for between $2 and $4.

Importer(s):

Distributor(s):

Manufactured In:
China
0 21 Read More
Occupational Safety Discussion
02/26/19 05:33 PM
OK, the person that revived this old thread, as his first post has "constructor" within his limited profile.

He may mean "Instructor", and he may not have read the Forum rules regarding post content.

Time to lock out this thread.

tomgirardi, you may PM or email me regarding my actions, and comment.
5 4,908 Read More
General Discussion Area
02/26/19 05:29 PM
Yes, a 1500 watt electric heater will find a termination issue. Might take a while, but.....
In an older install, load over time equation, device loses the battle.
6 451 Read More
NEC & other Code issues
02/22/19 12:53 PM
If i were at your place i would consider taking help from a certified for sure, they will do it properly.

Link to this ECs website deleted.
16 1,986 Read More
02/20/19 02:54 AM
I don't usually post non-Electrical Safety Recalls, but I thought this one might be of interest to some.

On a personal note, I've been curious about this myself.

Any Members here Fry a Turkey like this?

Bill
1 106 Read More
General Discussion Area
02/19/19 06:35 PM
Purpose made closet door switches make when the pressure (of the door) on the switch is removed.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Produc...__RsK-HGAx3XMnsMvQqnz2ZhTJRoCZakQAvD_BwE
2 147 Read More
Featured:

2017 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2017 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman

Member Spotlight
Radar
Radar
Los Angeles, CA
Show All Member Profiles