ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Shout Box
Recent Posts
Changing a Bulb
by gfretwell. 07/14/18 03:12 PM
Tray cable?
by gfretwell. 07/11/18 10:18 PM
Eaton Heavy Duty 30A and 60A Safety Switches
by Admin. 07/11/18 09:49 PM
ORTOVOX Recalls Avalanche Transceivers
by Admin. 07/11/18 09:44 PM
Tingle off the water spigot
by gfretwell. 07/08/18 12:58 PM
New in the Gallery:
Plug terminals
Housebilding DIY wiring
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 9 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Photo Gallery
07/16/18 03:03 PM
If it's a CEE Standard plug, the Pilot contact is for operating a Contactor, so the plug contacts don't wear off when connecting or disconnecting under load.
See here, chapter 4.1 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60309
5 559 Read More
General Discussion Area
07/14/18 07:12 PM
Look out below!
8 134 Read More
NEC & other Code issues
07/12/18 02:18 AM
The wood is just for the door frame so they have a place to screw in the hardware and nail in the casing.
They are inside the C channel on top. Maybe the picture is not clear on that.
I agree on the NM, no matter how they hide it. The strange thing is the tray cable would be legit. "In a raceway" is one of the accepted uses in 336.10. I am just not sure how they would have to continue on once they got inside. I suppose they might terminate the NM in the disconnect on the wall. That makes is sort of legal. It is about like feeding the jelly jar next to the door or a surface mounted FS receptacle box outside.
My bet, they strip the jacket and pull it through the Carflex, pretending it is THWN.
11 181 Read More
Safety News and Product Recalls
07/12/18 01:49 AM
See attached:
0 36 Read More
Safety News and Product Recalls
07/12/18 01:44 AM
ORTOVOX Recalls Avalanche Transceivers Due to Loss of Emergency Communications Capability

Recall Date: July 10, 2018
Recall Number: 18-185

Recall Summary

Name of Product:

Avalanche transceivers

Hazard:

The transceiver can fail to work properly due to a software error and fail to transmit the position of survivors of an avalanche, resulting in delayed search and rescue operations.

Remedy: Repair

Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled transceivers and return them to Ortovox for a free repair, including free shipping.

Consumer Contact:

ORTOVOX toll-free at 877-384-9252 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. MT Monday through Thursday, email at ortovox.warranty@deuterusa.com or online at www.ortovox.com and click on RECALL 3+ for more information.

Pictures available here: https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2018/O...s-of-Emergency-Communications-Capability

Recall Details

Units:

About 20,000 (In addition, about 7,000 were sold in Canada)

Description:

This recall involves Ortovox avalanche transceivers, model numbers 1137000006, 1137000001 and 1137000002. They were sold in black/blue (model number 1137000006), black/black (model number 1137000001) and neon green (model number 1137000002). The transceiver is used as a beacon to locate an individual in the event of avalanche burial. ORTOVOX and 3+ are printed on the top of the device. In the open/receive position, the top half of the transceiver displays a blue screen with green border that displays an image and distance reading of the buried individual. The transceivers measure about 5 inches long by 3 inches wide by 1 inch thick in the closed/transmit position. All transceivers manufactured from 2010 through 2018 are included in the recall. The manufacture date is printed inside the battery door on the back of the transceiver with a roman numeral representing the quarter of the year and a two digit number referring to the year. For example, a manufacture date of IV/17 represents the fourth quarter. The year of manufacture is five years earlier. In this case, the transceiver was manufactured in the fourth quarter of 2012.

Incidents/Injuries:

None reported

Sold At:

Outdoor specialty stores, ski shops nationwide and direct to avalanche professionals, search and rescue personnel and mountain guides from July 2010 through April 2018 for about $350.

Importer(s):

Deuter USA, of Longmont, Colo.

Distributor(s):

Ortovox, of Germany

Manufactured In:

Germany
0 17 Read More
General Discussion Area
07/08/18 04:58 PM
If you have wye distribution you will always have stray voltage. It just can't be avoided. The voltage drop in the PoCo neutral is going to show up on the grounding conductors, throughout the system. I have about 3a on my neutral to the PoCo through my GES with the power off. My GES may be the best ground electrode on my street tho. I just try to be sure everything around the house is bonded to my "ground" so I don't have gradients.
You can have all the electrodes you want, as long as they are bonded together with the appropriate conductors. I am a fan of "the more the better". I have 6 rods around the house, 2 "building" Ufers and the King Kong of all Ufers, an in ground concrete pool.
6 186 Read More
NEC & other Code issues
06/29/18 08:45 PM
FPL ran a couple miles of this stuff under the Estero Bay.
As for ampacity it will certainly be as good as free air.
Water will actually take the heat away faster.

[Linked Image]
1 141 Read More
NEC & other Code issues
06/28/18 01:29 AM
Voltage drop is dependent on the current not the voltage so the calculator will still work but obviously the percentage is based on the voltage you start with.
1 128 Read More
NEC & other Code issues
06/27/18 12:53 AM
There is a metal frame "top plate" if you can call it that but I think of a top plate as being the doubled 2x that is load bearing.
The subsequent trades will cut that metal frame away in a heart beat if it gets in their way, depending on the metal over the stud bays on either side to hold the studs. They might leave an inch or two next to the studs in the bay they are working in to hold the doubled 1x2 they strap the wires to.
Of course that is only if they are being polite. We have already had to get the metal framer back to fix the mess the plumbers and HVAC guys made of his walls and ceiling on the 2d floor where the ceiling is framed down from the concrete deck above. The fire cap on the 3d floor is fastened to the roof trusses so the rough wiring (HVAC, plumbing stacks, sprinklers etc) was in there before the walls were framed. In fact some of the electrical is going to have to be pulled up and back down to get it inside the wall cavities because the rockers just guessed where it was supposed to come down, poked a hole and pushed it through as they were hanging the rock. For some reason nobody seemed to look at the chalk marks on the floor.
4 204 Read More
Featured:

2017 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2017 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman

Member Spotlight
Theelectrikid
Theelectrikid
Levittown, PA
Show All Member Profiles 
Top Posters(30 Days)