ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat Box
Recent Posts
Questioning the electrical norms
by Texas_Ranger - 09/22/20 09:33 AM
Smoke & mirrors?
by HotLine1 - 09/21/20 03:42 PM
Pool Lights?
by Papa - 09/18/20 05:26 PM
Ever been afflicted by Gout?
by mbhydro - 09/15/20 05:50 PM
120/208 gives 240? please clarify
by NORCAL - 09/13/20 01:08 AM
New in the Gallery:
Facebook follies, bad wiring
FPE in Germany pt.2
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 8 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Non-US Electrical Systems & Trades Jump to new posts
Re: Questioning the electrical norms Texas_Ranger 5 hours ago
IMO toasters should have double-pole switches and all the respectable ones I've worked on did. However, I did also witness an RCD trip because of someone doing just that, so certainly not all of them do.

Y filter capacitors in appliances can give you quite a nasty belt when the earthing is compromised, either not connected at all or high-impedance, usually due to a poor connection. One of the most common complaints is "I always get a shock when I touch the dishwasher and the sink at the same time!". The first thing I do is break out the tester and do an earth continuity check (high-current resistance measurement) on the dishwasher socket.
23 12,385 Read More
General Discussion Area Jump to new posts
Re: Smoke & mirrors? HotLine1 Yesterday at 07:42 PM
I think this is destined to be removed...…
2 104 Read More
NEC & other Code issues Jump to new posts
Re: Pool Lights? Papa 09/18/20 09:26 PM
The NEC should prohibit the use of 120v pool lights, use low voltage instead.
8 581 Read More
Occupational Safety Discussion Jump to new posts
Re: Ever been afflicted by Gout? mbhydro 09/15/20 09:50 PM
And gout is associated to kidney stones. I have had painful stones 2x and gout like symptoms a few times.
6 196 Read More
Electrical Theory and Applications Jump to new posts
Re: 120/208 gives 240? please clarify NORCAL 09/13/20 05:08 AM
If the OP has 120/208V 3Ø feeding his building, then the individual units are 120/208V 1Ø, not 120/240V. Really quite common for larger multi-family buildings, electric ranges, clothes dryers are also rated for 120/208V at a lower KW rating, A/C equipment is 208/230V, with the only thing required is for the installer to change the tap on the control transformer. So there is really no problem.
8 471 Read More
Re: Lock-down Thread Trumpy 09/12/20 03:17 AM
Originally Posted by gfretwell
I suppose if there is good news it would be that the same things we do to mitigate Covid would cut down on flu transmission so flu might not be bad this time around.

And Greg,
That's quite "funny" how that pans out, we've just been through winter here and the level of actual colds and flu's have been practically nil.
I mean you would normally have people sneezing all over the place or coughing without putting their hand over their mouth and that is how colds and flu's are transmitted.
One thing to take from this, if anything it has put back in place, common levels of hygiene when doing things like sneezing.
39 2,409 Read More
NEC & other Code issues Jump to new posts
Re: Grounded metal cabinet? HotLine1 09/10/20 04:19 PM
Short answer is,

Metal enclosures are required to be 'bonded'.

NOT to the neutral conductor, except in MOCP equipment.

The other questions can be answered by you reading a book on basic electricity.

You may want to consult a Qualified Electrical Contractor regarding the space heater as you may be endangering yourself or your property by attempting to DIY.

I am closing this thread as the forum rules do not allow DIY.
1 100 Read More
Building Codes for Electricians Jump to new posts
Re: Free Codes? gfretwell 09/08/20 10:20 PM
NFPA just was not happy that they were losing control of their product.
27 38,656 Read More
Re: Where is Everyone? grich 09/08/20 06:50 PM
The one thing we didn't have in Y2K that we have now is pervasive "social media", spewing all sorts of rumor and outright fabrication, either coming from stupid people or smartly crafted by someone wanting to manipulate stupid people.

And I am getting tired of Facebook yelling at me to sign up to vote EVERY time I log in...
14 994 Read More
Non-US Electrical Systems & Trades Jump to new posts
Re: HVDC Greece to Crete Trumpy 09/08/20 08:04 AM
My God!,
Why would you not want a power upgrade like this?
Especially to negate the burning of fossil-fuels. crazy
New Zealand has a system like this, run mainly overhead from Benmore hydro dam in Otago under Cook Strait with 500kVDC, the total length is 610km.

3 power stations using mainly mazut

Mazut?

The station at Benmore here is miles away from anything, it had a LARGE rectifier bank in it, I visited it during my apprenticeship training as a Liney, it had a large buzzing sound before you even get near the place.
That was back in the days of LARGE Mercury Arc rectifiers, they are all solid-state these days.

I have also seen the other end of it at Haywards, west of Wellington, where the 3 (5) cables exit Cook Strait and head into an Inverter bank, nitrogen transmission system and switching station, there is no noise at all from the inverter banks, apart from the steady fans that keep the heatsinks cool.
2 217 Read More
Building Codes for Electricians Jump to new posts
Re: Inspector disapproval the Poggenphol kitchen light AC_Electrical 09/07/20 04:08 AM
As to cabinets with UL labels? I never gave that a thought, although we do check all electrical devices.
16 25,862 Read More
Re: Using a rigid box spacer between the service panel WNYJim 09/06/20 04:48 PM
I've always used an offset nipple. Even if the knockouts don't line up the box can be screwed into the panel board to provide a secure attachment (and I think it gives it a more professional look).
6 253 Read More
Featured:

2020 National Electrical Code
2020 National Electrical
Code (NEC)

2017 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2017 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman

Member Spotlight
Scott35
Scott35