ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat Box
Recent Posts
From an outsider- How does tipping work?
by NORCAL - 01/17/21 05:26 AM
Can I ask for your input?
by electure - 01/16/21 07:04 PM
Ground fault remover :-)
by NORCAL - 01/16/21 10:29 AM
Photo Editing Software?
by grich - 01/13/21 11:18 AM
Happy New Year Folks!!!
by Trumpy - 01/04/21 05:46 AM
New in the Gallery:
Facebook follies, bad wiring
FPE in Germany pt.2
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 13 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
General Discussion Area Jump to new posts
Re: From an outsider- How does tipping work? NORCAL 01/17/21 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by HotLine1
Yes, NORCAL has it right. NO self serve gas here in the Garden State. Yes, some get upset if we get tired of waiting & try to DIY. Most of the pumps require the attendants 'card' to activate the pump, unless you come upon a really old station. A lot of the new stations are 'set-up' for self serve, but our state fathers refuse to allow it by law.

Yes, the stations can be fined for allowing 'self serve', but I have not heard of any.

Nice to know that a guy from the west coast is aware of NJ. "Jersey GALs do not pump gas"

Back a long time ago, I remember sitting at a gas station in NY State waiting for the attendant.....My first time out of NJ. Darn, that was a long time ago!!

What is funny is other then layovers back in 2006 at the Newark airport, I have never been to NJ.
18 957 Read More
Re: Can I ask for your input? electure 01/17/21 12:04 AM
When I was working with my tools I carried them in a Klein double pocket nylon rig with padded suspenders and belt. It was super comfortable.
The nylon belt didn't have any downward pressure on it and never stretched . It was washable in the kitchen sink
3 87 Read More
Non-US Electrical Systems & Trades Jump to new posts
Re: Ground fault remover :-) NORCAL 01/16/21 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by gfretwell
These days I see plenty of Chinese knock off devices with no "legal" listing mark. Some have counterfeit markings, some none at all. These usually show up in regular retail outlets or Amazon type places, not a real electrical supplier.

Best course of action but pretty much impossible is to avoid ChiCom goods.
18 1,931 Read More
Re: Computers and the Internet Jump to new posts
Re: Photo Editing Software? grich 01/13/21 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by sabrown
Tried Gimp also last year and though it is usable, it is very difficult for the occasional user.

Irfanviiew was for minor editing (balance, contrast, etc.) and compression and does not have the power and ability of Gimp or other editors.

Shane

I used GIMP for changing a few photos into sepia tones. It took several nights before I figured out what to do.

I've never used Irfanview but some of our staff do, it certainly has a distinctive desktop icon. smile
9 287 Read More
Re: Happy New Year Folks!!! Trumpy 01/04/21 10:46 AM
Hehe,
It's a funny thing, I remember back in the 70's, a year like 2020, sounded
SO futuristic, with flying cars (just like the Jetsons) and we'd all have jobs where
we'd all be just sitting at a computer controlling things remotely all day. cool

Given the number of motor vehicle accidents we have here at the moment,
scares the hell out of me that some people can't even keep a car on the road,
let alone add up and down into the equation. aspirin
2 170 Read More
Photos for General Discussion Jump to new posts
Re: What does your work place look like? NORCAL 01/01/21 03:26 AM
Originally Posted by Trumpy
Ahh yes,
The washing machines, I'll take back what I said, mate. grin
We lost count of how many caught fire/ exploded over here in NZ, there were just so many.
And that was AFTER the recall was supposedly over........ whistle

Samsung, & LG, (Lousy Goods), both have a rep for bad ice makers, & hard to get parts for their appliances, I avoid both of them. Still anytime I see a Samsung product, always refer to them as a exploding product, hence my original remark. laugh
21 6,659 Read More
Re: "That" time of the Year Trumpy 12/30/20 05:15 AM
Thanks John,
I was going to wait for Bill to start a thread like this. whistle

It has been a really rough year, pretty much for everyone, I'd fail to know anyone who has made any sort of REAL advancement this year.

I went into business by myself late last year, that was probably the worst thing I could have done, given the ensuing business climate 3 months later.

I had two LARGE jobs from people from the US building houses in North Otago and I finished them both before time and under-budget.

Aside from that, Covid-19 killed my work, all the restrictions, travel, PPE, especially with smaller jobs.
And when you get to site and the builders and plumbers aren't using the same PPE as you, it makes you wonder, why you even bother. mad
2 244 Read More
Re: Where is Everyone? Trumpy 12/30/20 05:00 AM
This new variant of Covid-19 was a bit of a shock, it turned up from a guy from South Africa in the UK.
Personally, if I was running the show, we would SHUT all of our borders to everyone.
Admittedly, we live on a couple of islands here, this helps us to a certain degree, but if this gets ingrained here,
it will be bloody hard to eradicate, as there is no means of escape.
And you have people freaking out that they can't go home for Xmas with their families, my opinion on this is this,
do you want to go home to your family later on or do you want to end up in a coffin.
Your choice and you could infect the rest of your family.
23 3,379 Read More
Featured:

2020 National Electrical Code
2020 National Electrical
Code (NEC)

2020 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2020 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman

Member Spotlight
sparky66wv
sparky66wv