ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat Box
Recent Posts
Look at this mess...
by Trumpy - 11/07/19 11:48 PM
Fire source!
by sabrown - 11/07/19 08:39 AM
Parallel Conductor Divisor
by LongRunner - 11/04/19 02:21 AM
FPE in Germany
by Texas_Ranger - 10/29/19 05:12 AM
Mistake in Instructions?
by gfretwell - 10/28/19 06:36 PM
New in the Gallery:
FPE Breaker panel in germany
What is this for?
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 54 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Violation Photo Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Look at this mess... Trumpy 11/08/19 04:48 AM
Brian,
I think some strong drugs may have been involved as well.
This has got "Git-er-done" written all over it.
1 75 Read More
Violation Photo Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Fire source! sabrown 11/07/19 01:39 PM
I was wondering if I had anything to add to this conversation, and then wondered if I just like to hear myself talk and got rid of most of it.

I do want to add that it is important that power strips be used in a visible location. Fires can be stopped by just someone noting the browning/melting (or smelling, in one case, when it was hidden in a cabinet, good thing an employee trusted their nose).

Shane
17 37,788 Read More
Canadian Electrical Code Topics Jump to new posts
Re: Parallel Conductor Divisor LongRunner 11/04/19 07:21 AM
Do you mean running a parallel pair to increase ampacity compared to a single wire (although dividing by 2 would put you back where you started wink )? If the two are close together, then they may have to be derated somewhat to maintain a safe temperature.
Since power dissipation in a given resistance is proportional to current squared, current only needs to be divided by the square root of 2 to halve the dissipation. In reality, you won't even have to derate that far as the two wires have a greater surface area than one of the same size; treating the pair as equivalent to a single wire of double the cross-sectional area (or with an AWG number 3 lower) should be quite safe (a bit more current may be OK as the two smaller wires still have more total surface than the bigger one, but I can't give precise or official data).

If it's just to reduce voltage drop, then you won't need to derate further.

This is just my understanding of the general principles; I'm not involved in distribution specifically, so there may be some detail I don't know about.
1 97 Read More
Non-US Electrical Systems & Trades Jump to new posts
Re: FPE in Germany Texas_Ranger 10/29/19 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by NORCAL
Fisher

Price

Electric

For anyone who does not know,Fisher Price is a toy manufacturer & I have no clue as to their international exposure.

Fisher Price is definitely well-known throughout Europe! I guess almost everyone who's been anywhere near an average toddler in the last 50 years has seen some Fisher Price toys.

I still wonder if the German FPE equipment was any good! The MCBs were obviously manufactured to German specs so they weren't identical to their US counterparts. Considering their age they should be replaced anyway though.
27 10,262 Read More
General Discussion Area Jump to new posts
Re: Mistake in Instructions? gfretwell 10/28/19 11:36 PM
Yes the OP was right and the EV instructions were wrong.
They made the change in format to T 250.122 in the 2011 cycle but the rule didn't change.
5 217 Read More
Voice - Data - Video Discussion Jump to new posts
Re: Video door bell causing chime activation of coil BigB 10/28/19 02:23 AM
I just noticed this thread as well, the early models of the Ring door bell required a larger transformer if you wanted to activate the local chime at the same time as the networked chime, a 30VA. Skybell may be the same. The newer versions do not require a larger transformer as they are battery powered and the existing transformer just keeps them charged.
19 2,834 Read More
General Discussion Area Jump to new posts
Funny Instructions BigB 10/28/19 02:11 AM
I'm sure everyone has seen their share of instructions from certain overseas manufacturers, I thought this one was pretty good.
0 104 Read More
Electrical Nostalgia Jump to new posts
Re: Vibrator Supplies?? gfretwell 10/20/19 12:33 AM
I haven't seen one of them since I played with car radios that had tubes in them. It was really just a Fred Flintstone switcher power supply.
32 24,660 Read More
Featured:

2020 National Electrical Code
2020 National Electrical
Code (NEC)

2017 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2017 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman

Member Spotlight
CDS
CDS