I don't believe the NEC requires a dwelling to have a range installed. A permanent provision for cooking is an electric range receptacle or a 120V receptacle accompanied by a gas shut-off valve in close proximity. I think hard wired appliances are required to be present for final inspection but not cord and plug connected ones. If a required lighting outlet in a room happens to be a switched receptacle, does the lamp need to be plugged in for final inspection? I wire a 3500 sq.ft. custom home 10 years ago for an owner who acted as his own GC. He had me install (2) 4 ton A/C circuits and terminate them in w/p disconnects. There were sleeves at the disconnect locations for linesets. He still hasn't, to this day, installed A/C. He doesn't like A/C but thought it would be good for resale value to have the home ready for it if he decided to sell. Should that have passed final? My brother-in-law just bought a brand new spec home that has capped off ceiling fan boxes in each bedroom. The bedrooms also have (1) switched receptacle. Ceiling fan/lights are at the buyers disgression. I don't see a problem if the requirements of the NEC are met. There may be other building codes that prohibit a final inspection before cord and plug connected appliance installation but I don't believe it is a NEC issue.