Joe, Please humor me for a moment. [Linked Image]

A developer decides to build a multi-unit condo building on speculation. They hire a GC and the GC hires subs. We build the building to prints. By the time we get to final inspections some units are usually sold and we may be asked to wire the units owners appliances and fixtures at an extra charge.

However many units will not have been sold an do not have appliances or fixtures. They where not on the prints as they will be supplied by the condo units purchaser

The NEC does not require washers, dryers, refrigerators or luminaires, only provisions for those items. An inspector can not force the owners to install these items at the time of final.

The owner may never install the washer and dryer, they may use a laundry service.

Whatever the case may be it's not the inspectors business to worry about.

If they are not on the prints we turned in for our permit then they are not subject to our final inspection.

Now if we follow the letter of the law in MA another permit should be pulled by whoever does install these items and then inspections should follow. (Yeah...that will happen. [Linked Image])

You may think this is an odd scenario but it is more common then you may think.

Developers do not provide fixtures and appliances for a unit that is unsold.

My point here is not everything is black and white, different jobs require different inspection processes.

My Condo example could just as easily be a group of single family homes built by a developer on spec. When we finish our job per the prints it is time for the inspector to sign us off on the final, appliances and Luminaires not holding things up.

JMO, Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts