Bob:

I understand your scenario very well, and agree that an "Electrical Inspector" can "Final" any job on a unit by unit basis.

Keeping the permits open for those units that are not occupied yet.

If one of those condo owners you mentioned wanted to sell their unit, they probably would have to get a home inspection before the sale would go through.

The lack of any final installations, such as the appliances you mention, may or may not be there, but, again the range and other items that include the other appliances I mentioned usually will be installed after the occupant takes possession of the unit.

I have inspected many condos and buildings in New Haven, Connecticut and Glendale and Pasadena, California areas since 1969, why we even had buildings with "free electricity" for all occupants with a one meter job.

Massachusetts, and RI construction projects are controlled by many political interferences and will probably never change. Not to mention the Union and Non-Union issues.

One of the best experiences I can remember is that I worked in areas where there was no "Political Interference" and we never had any problems when the issues about the condition of a FINAL were considered.

I am waiting for the day that you decide, if ever, to take on a job as an AHJ where you will have an opportunity to go onto jobs that were done be your competitor's, maybe then you will understand.

In the meantime I will ask some of my associates about this issue and based upon the link above will probably find more support for my views that yours.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant