Gentleman,

Let's not let this thread get out of hand. I love this board because we are above those other flamming boards where every one picks on every one else.
The point here is that when you give a final inspection, YES, everything should be in place. We also know that in some towns, (sometimes through political pressure) we have to give a temporary Certificate of Occupency. (TCO)
As an AHJ, I would do my very best to make sure that a home is safe for people to move into. Yet, if they don't have all of their fancy light fixtures and they have to move out of their old house, well they can install keyless light fixtures in place of their new $5,000 light fixture. Many times people will want to move into a home and they don'y have the money to install the HVAC system. No problem! You can close out the existing permit, BUT you have to open a new permit for the HVAC! This way it gives me the right to go back into the house and make sure that the HVAC IF/When it is installed I make sure that it is installed properly. Same goes for outside lights. You might not have all of your fancy scones lights around the outside of your house, just install a $15 contractor special "jelly" Jar light fixture. This way there is light by each door and the people in the house can see to get into and out of. I will not allow any open wires exposed in the house that is way to dangerous. All wires will have to be "Safed off" for a TCO inspection.