Rob, that's fine if that is an adopted code in your area, but it is not an NEC requirement.

If there are local amendments that is a different ballgame, but I don't think most areas would want to get involved in making people have to have something in their residences, that they choose not to have.

George, not trying to put you on the spot, but answer one thing, is there an amendment in MI requiring Luminaires be installed, or is this your own rule?

Remember, in other than Kitchens and Bathrooms a switched receptacle is all that is needed.

So as I said in the other thread,
I would simply run a three wire to a receptacle in close proximity or directly below the switch and split this receptacle. I would then leave the conductors to the light capped off and tagged in the switch box, install a blank cover over the "future" fixture rough in and be in total compliance with the NEC.

I understand and respect your desire as an inspector to want things as safe as they can possibly be, but you can only enforce what is adopted code in your jurisdiction.

Roger