I don't know about Chicago Joe, but nearby, in my opinion, what's on the plans must be installed. Approved plans are a contractual document. In a previous thread on the same topic, I asked the question how an inspector knows a circuit is wired correctly to a lighting outlet without a light being installed, and without having the electrician go to each box with a tester because that would take too much time. I don't remember getting an answer. The light may technically not have to be installed, but the electrician does have to prove it is wired correctly if the AHJ requires so. Oh yeah, I do check every hard wired appliance connection, and I find that 20 to 30% are miswired in some fashion. And not always by the crappy contractors. Plug in appliances do not need to be in as long as the recept is wired properly.

It should be noted to developers and GC's that they must inform new tenants that any additional modifications to the electrical system will require an additional permit and inspection(s).

I had a tenant buy a unit as is, hired a large orange hardware store install the cabinets and found electrical boxes buried and new ones installed to accommodate the layout. A brand new unit and already buried J-boxes. What a shame. No offense to anybody, I have inspected work of contractors that I would hire to wire my own house and who have taught me a lot, but they make mistakes too and learn some stuff from me too. When you inspect hundreds of different peoples work, you learn so much more than dealing with just your own work. No matter how good anyone is, a second set of eyes never hurt anyone, but the work does have to be completed to assure it is right. I tend to side with Joe here, but the part that is lacking that many of you have mentioned is the municipality putting their policies in writing and doing thorough plan reviews, which includes careful reading of the notes.