Not to beat a dead horse, but I cannot let irrellevant mis-information stand unanswered.

I'll take it this mean you don't either like or understand my responses to you Reno, i'll invite you to be specific then

I've pretty much finished reading "Atlas Shrugged," and I find nothing of the blather that has been attributed to Ayn Rand, the author. Instead, it's a fairly straightforward novel, depicting a world where government power is used to enforce sympathy-driven priorities, and any reference to actual results is taboo. The novel ends with the sympathy-driven society collapsing, and a new one, based upon results, arising.

I cannot speak to anything else the author may have said, elsewhere. Think of L. Ron Hubbard; one can enjoy his science fiction without finding a whit of his (later) religious ramblings. The same also applies to a great number of other authors.

One could read Mien Kampf and consider the author a genius as well, possibly even being totally unaware of the darker motivations the author had

No matter how gloved in velvet the government fist may be, government is all about the use of force. No less than George Washington made this observation. He was surely in a position to know.

The floudering fathers (no, that's not a typo) fought what they considered oppression, forwarded a historic document on par with the Magna Carta inclusive of all men being created equal, yet owned slaves. Add to this they were moslty aristo's with more to loose to then imperalist England than the average joe of the day, and their alturistic nature people seem so fond of becomes rather tarnished

Some have averred that 'their' department was reasonable, that the problems came from 'across the hall.' THAT is the problem. The road to permit / inspection hell is paved with sundry bureaus as the stepping stones- much as a tsunami is made up of innocent little raindrops.

When a company fails to serve a useful function, it goes out of business- no matter how noble the founders' intent. The same is not true of governemnt. Even now, in the midst of financial crisis, I do not see anyone in our Federal government talking about eliminating 'optional' departments.

Very true in that big gov always justifies itself , plays the blame game , and can many times operate with less than business like proficency
In fact, there's a good argument in that they seem to be working on eliminating us before themselves. In the grander scope, what you seem to be alluding to is a macroeconomic model condusive to a gainful lifestyle /business existence in conjunction with government. I think i've stated my case in said respect, it's just a matter of what labels or allegiances one would subscribe to

I raise this point because I question whether the growth of governmental involvement in building has really led to any public benefit, including 'safety.' Try this: make a list of the greatest construction achievements- then compare the rules they had to follow to today's list. Yet, somehow, those tall buildings and bridges still manage to function. Look at the engineering marvels being made in places like Bahrain- where the builders face little, if any, regulation. Even in totalitarian places like China, the government pretty much stands aside once the permission has been granted.

Reno's success in essentially eliminating the entire building department puts a spotlight on what is really important to the government- and your safety isn't on the list.

Some sort of study relevant to governmental protectants relevant to morbidity and mortality over a period of time shouldn't be much of an ordeal to google up Reno, and i'm sure America would loose out placing it side by side with totaltarian regimes who's worker ants go missing by the thousands annually. That said it's essentially discriptive of a free market, pristine lazzie fare unrestrained capitalism. It sounds mighty funky to paint commie countries like China with such descriptions, but in the biz sense they provide grand perspective ,and just watch the bubble they're assuming grow ungainly due to it all. Imho, we've evoloved past the pinkerton's, past the guilded age and robber barons, to be a century ahead of where they are today, we are at our best subscribing to balance

Have we come full circle with it all? Well, i did get the boot here ranting about the safety nazis ,didn't i? Hypocritical that i should do so, after taking so many hundreds of seniors out of the sanctity of their own homes against their will to the fossile home because we deemed them a threat to themselves.

Oh well, did i tell you i look great in uniform?