on that note,
i live on the boprder of VT & NH, so i hold a license in both.

dunno if there's any NH sparkies here, if so they can probably commiserate on the 'state of the state' permit process, etc

eastern NH is where all the populance resides, western NH is kinda like the land time forgot

for instance, over in NH you gotta have a license to change a light bulb, no exceptions as in VT

and the individual townships provide the permits for the state, which the state catalogs/ inspects / etc

so i cross the river for a service upgrade, real typical ho hum stuff, appear at T-hall and ask for a permit, to which they insist isn't their job, or necessary (the lady said 'it's nice that you have a license though)

typically, i also call the poco, to which the response was the usual 'call us when it's done' deal

so i rip off the old service, install the new, and tag onto the street w/temp taps....also accepted local practice here

next, calling the poco for the permanent connection, i'm told it needs inspection

so i call the state of NH next. Now the state of NH only has 3 bona fide electrical inspectors. I'm under the impression they try to hit as much as they can in any given area during the day, and this is way out in God's country

So he (the EI) asks "where's your permit?", to which my response was "can't get no, sir" , to which the rebuttal was "Thou shalt permit son!", which i retorted "no permitith township sir"

months later, the EI shows up, passes my work with little ado, and armed with the might and clout of unfunded state mandates , is off to impart his wrath on T-hall

Honest to God, we can wear our best EC halo out there, and still walk smack into the permit crossfire!

~S~