I have never heard of a big problem with Lee County's electrical permit/inspection process. IMHO they are too easy. I have seen things approved that I would never let get by.
Florida enforces a uniform electric code state wide, basically the 2008 NEC with a couple changes.

Where things get tough here is the structural code. They have a real wind code and the permit must be submitted with stamped engineering for just about anything (even a little shed). They do not have those exceptions you hear about up north for "portable buildings". (sheds or structures below a certain size, no floor or without a foundation etc). If you set it up on your property, it needs to meet the wind code with engineering to prove it and you need a permit. Virtually none of those "shed in a box" things you buy up north are legal here. The feeling is if it is not an engineered structure, it is a missile in a storm.
There are some preassembled sheds we accept but they have been engineered to code (essentially "wind code listed") and require a foundation or an approved tie down system, permitted and inspected.

That blindsides a lot of people. They build a little shed for their lawn mower with plans from a book at Home Depot and end up tearing it down.
It took me 4 tries to get my addition through plan review and I knew the drill. In the end the engineer ended up stamping the original plans I drew with a few additional notes from his CAD program and that sailed through.

Greg Fretwell