One of my customers during my 1st month in business:

Customer: I would like to replace this old panel and add some more outlets in these rooms. I also have a few oulets that don't work and need to have them fixed. How much will this cost.

My Reply: $40 per hour and 20% markup on materials.

Customer: Are you kidding me. My usual electricain that I use only charges $20 per hour. $40 per hour is his emergency rate.

My Reply: Why are you not using your usual electrician.

Customer: He said he lives too far away.

My Reply: I could be living in the basement and it would be too far away for $20 per hour.

Customer: I only make $15 per hour I cannot afford to pay you $40 per hour. Just give me a total price for all the work so I will know wether or not I can afford to have it done.

This is only one of many such responses I got from customers when giving them an hourly rate.
I still get complaints about the price even with flat rate but I get them less often and at least they don't compare the price to their hourly wage.
I think you will always get complaints about your prices. It's normal for people to complain about the costs of things. I do it everytime I fill my truck with gas, buy groceries, pay my insurance premiums etc. but I still pay. I just accept things are expensive and if I want or need it thats what I need to pay to get it even if I don't like how much it costs. I still prefer to know the total price before I purchase things though.

[This message has been edited by A-Line (edited 12-13-2004).]

[This message has been edited by A-Line (edited 12-13-2004).]