The first time I visited my supply house in my own city, they weren't too happy with me. I went there at 4:45. They close at 5, but they closed their warehouse down at 4:30. I went in at 4:45 to get sone #2 THHN. It was a very dramatic scene, as everyone was complaining that i came when the warehouse whas closed and they had to wait for the lights to warm up and turn on. The salesman who chewed me out behind my back apologized to me and even waited with me until my ride came back (I wasn't driving at the time, so I had to wait for my brother). I told the salesman it's okay, and I was trying to get there earlier anyways. I have always gone back there for things I need. Had he not apologized, I probably would have never gone back and gone to the big box store instead.

The moral of the story: Sometimes salespeople make mistakes. However, if they apologize and offer something at the personal level, then there's a great chance that the customer will come back. Had they offered me a discount and no apology, I probably would never have come back. Sure, a discount saves money, but an apology is priceless, and accepting an apology is priceless.

Of course, when it comes to liability reasons, if you apologize, never admit fault. For example: It's snowing, and you just shoveled the walk in front of your supply house. Someone slips. You can say "I'm sorry that happened" but not "I'm sorry you slipped. James was supposed to shovel, but he probably missed a spot." I know this sounds cruel hearted of me, but admitting guilt in a liability situation is like jumping into the tiger cage at the zoo and yelling "Hey big cats, I'm standing right here! Please don't eat me."