Nobody mentioned Coffee and Donuts????

I too will say open the back side - You'll be surprised how many guys will just pick thier own order for speed. Sometimes I have orders I could pick myself faster than translating it - then just check out at the counter. And often as mentioned-if its known you have it - you'll sell more of it.

Now this is a wierd one: Here there are a bunch of Chineese shops that I use for a few reasons, and only recently have other shops picked up on thier technique. 80% of walk-in orders are self-picked to keep things moving / over-head low. Free delivery of orders. They dont have it, they buy it from another shop for you. It seems to be a wholesale agreement between competitors - favor to favor. That way the shop you go to says, "Oh, I'll have that for you this afternoon." (And you'll spot the packing stamp of the other store...) The ones who don't do that tell you it'll be a week to get in from deep-space and that holds up work.... So stay friendly with the competition. [Linked Image] It helps keep customers....

Oh, and the big one! Rent heavy tools... Hydralic benders, theaders, tuggers, testing equipment. And do some in-house work. Theres one shop I go to that does in-house bends. The owner's an old EC, will bend up most simple bends from an over the phone describtion for me, but doesn't do that for everyone. I tell him I want a 4 1/2" off-set on 3"RMC, or a 90-3' stub on 2"RMC, and just charges per bend, sends it on the truck with the rest of my order. Most guys just go out back and get charged per bend/per thread, or rent the equipment for the day. But this type of thing as a service or place to obtain equipment that big shops would have, helps the small guy look like a big one. And the type of stuff we need is not often avalable at Hertz or U-save rental.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason