Sales is a funny thing, and there are many ways to do it. While not an expert, there are a few things I have a hard time selling, and fear is one of them. The whole comparing yourself to a doctor and your house is going to burn down is a losing proposition and at best you come across as more arrogant than professional.

If you want to sell something and be a commodity then in my opinion you would be better off selling yourself, as a clean, professional, licensed, bonded electrician with references and experience, who can get the job done correctly and on time.

Part of the problem with the residential market and working directly for home owners is that they are not big repeat customers, and they don’t understand that while there is always a cheaper price out there, that there is really only one right price to do it correctly. If you can sell that, with your professionalism then it’s a win win deal, they feel good about your services and you get work for a fair price.

I am not saying I know how to do this well, its just that if a deal falls through you need to be able to leave the door open in such a way the client feels good about calling you back if they realize you were right. The whole “your house is going to burn down” angle may have left a bad taste in their mouth and people don’t like to admit they were wrong.

Just something to think about.

101° Rx = + /_\