This topic holds alot of meaning right now in our trade. Out here in Cali, there are a lot of problems being caused by the Wal-Mart mentality.

In a good portion of my business these days, I'm dealing with property managers, who are basically expected by the property owners to deliver everything with the bottom line being the predominant factor.

At the same time, crap-quality lighting and "electrical" contractors are coming along, hiring unqualified workers at slave wages, and turning out sub-standard and, at times, down right dangerous garbage, but charging way less than I can even consider charging without losing money on the job.

The result? Some of my work is going elsewhere simply because they undercut my price. As it currently stands, I'm starting to see some clients return to me because the jobs they've gotten done for cheap have failed, but it's a slow process. And, worse, some business does not come back to me because even unqualified people can accidently get a job right sometimes.

What I offer to my clients, that keeps me in business, is professionalism. All the way, in every aspect, I dedicate myself to acheiving quality - show up on time, return phone calls, work quick and clean, go the extra mile to make sure the client is happy, and providing ongoing support for my work.

Also, talking to clients with a genuine interest in what they need and an apparent concern that they are happy goes a long way.