The "car" comparison is appropriate. If you're comparing identical cars, price can easily become the prime consideration. This even applies, to a lesser extent, between similar cars.

Yet, few folks ever consider a minivan and a convertible at the same time. Rather, they get an idea of what they want, then seek out those who might have that item. They will pay little attention to those who don't look promising.

If you were looking for a sporty little convertible, would you visit "Joe's Work Trucks?" Would you expect much service after the sale, from a guy who does business in the Wal-Mart parking lot?

The trick is to NOT become just another ad in the phone book. I've had lots of business develop from casual contacts with customers' employees. The simple fact that their boss hired me is all the recommendation they need, and sets me apart from all the other 'unknowns.' Or, I've had several pump jobs develop after a plumbing company found that they could rely on me.

While everyone says "price is important," I think price only enters the question when the customer has no other way to separate "the sheep from the goats."

NEVER lat the customer see you as just one of the crowd.