I'm with Steve on this, reguardless of MY personal, feelings on the matter...
I hate whem my wife leaves the table lamps on, and I have to turn on my mandatory lighting outlet, so I can get back accross the room without trippng over the coffee table. [Linked Image]

If all that is required is a wall switch to be final, are you (inspectors out there)then planning to go back for the light? Like mentioned, other codes do require illumination. For instance under CA's Title-24, I have to install "high-efficiancy lighting" in certain room, and the Electrical Inspector is responsable for making sure I do so. I cant blank them...

Likewise, if someone installed a reccessed can in a closet, would you allow them to leave it there, because it did not have a bulb and trim in it? Its a "lighting outlet", but incomplete without a proper bulb and trim suiting the area it is installed in. That would not be a completed for final job would it?

And I think that it is pretty clear that the NEC that they want you to turn something on as you enter the room if they will require a switched outlet, in leiu of a "lighting outlet".

Sounds like they expect light to eminate from those additional "junction boxes" in the wall or cieling. As it is not a "lighting outlet", unless it has a light in it.

Alan brought up the use of "intended" in the definition of lighting outlet. For those of us with the code on CD, search that word...

90.4 Enforcement.
This Code is intended to be suitable for mandatory application......

ARTICLE 100 Definitions
Scope. This article contains only those definitions essential to the proper application of this Code. It is not intended to include commonly defined general terms or commonly defined technical terms from related codes and standards. In general, only those terms that are used in two or more articles are defined in Article 100. Other definitions are included in the article in which they are used but may be referenced in Article 100.
Part I of this article contains definitions intended to apply wherever the terms are used throughout this Code......
I guess if they didn't intend to have a light in the lighting outlet. They didn't want the code enforced, or to pay any attention to the definitions either.

Not trying to yank chains, but these debates are just all about minced words are the not?

So if it is intended for a light, shouldn't it have one?

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason