You'll have to pardon me for dredging up a 2 week-old topic. I read it this morning and have been thinking about it ever since.

Do we really think that the intent of 210.70 is to require us to install a box for a lighting outlet, conductors to it, and a switch but not install a luminaire, lampholder or pendant cord? If the intent was not to provide illumination, the requirements for location of the lighting outlets, and switches would be pointless. Why require the lighting outlet to be wall switched, if you don't require anything to be installed at the lighting outlet? I think what we're missing here is the fact that INTENDED is not the key word in the definition of lighting outlet. The key words in that definition are DIRECT CONNECTION. The luminaire, lampholder or pendant cord you install must be directly connected to that outlet, not cord and plug connected to it. The exception to 210.70(A)(1) gives you the option of a switching a receptacle in lieu of the lighting outlet, but if the lighting outlet is installed it is for direct connection. The dictionary definition of intend means that you have in mind, or design for a specific purpose. In this case, you have in mind the specific purpose of DIRECTLY CONNECTING a luminaire, lampholder or pendant cord with a lampholder. Not that you may or may not get around to putting a light in that area some day.

The reason the wording in 210.70 doesn't say luminaire is that it may not be a luminaire that you install. It may be a lampholder instead, or even a pendant cord with a lampholder.

"to which appliances are to be connected" sounds an awful lot like "intended for the direct connection of a lampholder, a luminaire (lighting fixture),"

With your interpretation of 210.70 it would follow you would also require at least two small appliances to be purchased and plugged into the SA circuits based on 210.52(B)
That might be true if the definition of Branch Circuit, Appliance only referred to small appliance branch circuits. It's talking about any appliance. Note that it refers to outlet rather than receptacle outlet.

I don't disagree that the wording in 210.70 and the definition of Lighting Outlet could use some cleaning up. But, then again, that's not unique in the code either. But I've never left a required lighting outlet blanked off when I was a contractor, and I've never passed a job with one blanked off since I've been an inspector. I don't doubt that there are areas of the country where it's allowed, and I guess that's the option the AHJ has in those areas. When I inspected in Indiana (not far from Alan's area) we didn't allow it, and I don't know of any inspectors in this part of Michigan that allow it either. Sounds like a good question to ask at next month's inspectors meeting. I'll be curious to see how many see it each way.

Thanks for indulging me on this.

[This message has been edited by Mvannevel (edited 08-23-2005).]