I have read through this thread, and it amazes me how some will take what they personally like to do and try to inject that process into the actual code wording.

"210.70 Lighting Outlets Required. Lighting outlets shall be installed where specified in 210.70(A), (B), and (C).
(A) Dwelling Units. In dwelling units, lighting outlets shall be installed in accordance with 210.70(A)(1), (2), and
(3).
(1) Habitable Rooms. At least one wall switch-controlled lighting outlet shall be installed in every habitable room and bathroom.
Exception No. 1: In other than kitchens and bathrooms, one or more receptacles controlled by a wall switch shall be permitted in lieu of lighting outlets.

In joining these forums and especially in my duties as an inspector, I try to read what is written and then enforce that - once in a while actually explaining to the contractor/electrician that it is the minimum and more could be done to protect him/herself from possible trouble in the future.

With that being said, this section does not require a luminaire, it requires a lighting outlet - which is distinctly defined. So this should not be a code issue.

What I see happening here is the personal preference as to how to finish the job for a final.

Contractors have at it and do what you like.

Inspectors, inspect for code - if the ceiling or wall sconce LIGHTING OUTLET is blanked - so be it.

I perform some of the most thorough inspections contractors have seen (most not too happy about it either [Linked Image]), yet I do not test all parts of the installation to see it all works.

As Ryan stated early on:

"Accept it. We as AHJ's can't save the world."

Pierre Belarge