I am suprised some of you don't see the difference between a recptacle that a six year old can plug a lamp into and a blank cover that a qualified person has to pull out the tools and ladder to get it working.

I can see a difference, what you can't show me is an NEC section that requires a luminaire.

Also there will be un-switched outlets in that room for the 6 year old to plug a lamp in until the qualified electrician comes to install the ceiling fixture. [Linked Image]

If the CMP wanted a luminaire required it would have been a simple thing to change this....

210.70 Lighting Outlets Required.

Lighting outlets shall be installed where specified in 210.70(A), (B), and (C).

(A) Dwelling Units. In dwelling units, lighting outlets shall be installed in accordance with 210.70(A)(1), (2), and (3).

(1) Habitable Rooms. At least one wall switch-controlled lighting outlet shall be installed in every habitable room and bathroom.

to this.....

210.70 Luminaires Required.

Luminaires shall be installed where specified in 210.70(A), (B), and (C).

(A) Dwelling Units. In dwelling units, Luminaires shall be installed in accordance with 210.70(A)(1), (2), and (3).

(1) Habitable Rooms. At least one wall switch-controlled Luminaires shall be installed in every habitable room and bathroom.

IMO, many people are assuming what the intent is of 210.70.

It is not an inspectors job or right to enforce intent.

An inspector is obligated to enforce the code as written.

JMO, Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts