Having benn in this trade since '77, and having a part time stint in stage and concert lighting too, I always believe that a man is what a man does, or so the commercial goes. The best tool that you have is your head. Use It. I've been recently diagnosed and am taking treatment for lung cancer. I've never smoked, and doing what I do now, don't believe I've been exposed to asbestos. But one of the scariest things that bothers me is that I might die, and in that havent't done all the things that I want to do in this trade. If you love what you do, chances are you'll do well. Another contractor has a motto in that "if you take care of the trade, it will take care of you". These might all be cliche's but there is truth in all of them. I tried to get onto the apprenticeship, but didn't get in the 2 times I tried. I ended up being self taught. Because I love the trade, I did well. I hold a masters license and numerous other certifications. I also am one of my town's electrical inspectors, although I'm off on leave now. During the day, I still go into work as electrical superintendent at the O'Hare Airport in Chicago as much as I can. My point being is that if you too have the ove for what you do, you will do well. But while you are doing it, don't be a hero. Get assistance if you need it. Get as much traing along the way and never stop. I still go back to journeyman night school to this day, to keep me as versatile and up to date as I can. Learning never ends. Using your head shouldn't either.