Originally Posted by hbiss
[i]...
By the way, a cable box does not have any kind of voltage on it's output (or input for that matter). It's probably a dead short to DC as are most splitters. That's probably what your 402 toner is showing- a short. If the toner is connected into a splitter that presents a short it is unlikely that you will be able to pick up it's tone with the probe on any cable coming off of it. It's the same situation as trying to tone any shorted cable.
-Hal

Hal,
Then how would you explain this?
When I did CATV installs and post wiring of MDU’s back in the early 1990’s, although it was potentially dangerous, a very common way for some techs to locate a disconnected drop was to connect the cable box at the premises, then find the drop in the pedestal or lockbox by “tasting” the cable ends on the tip of their tongue one at a time. The DC would tingle on your tongue similar to a 9-volt battery. This “test” was only possible with a CATV box connected to the line and powered up, It would work for single family residences or even apartment buildings where the lockbox was located many floors below in the parking garage. I hate to admit it, but I did this my self when time was a factor.