Would seem to me after reading some responses from various folks, that the people who don't like the idea of free estimates/competitive bidding are the guys who might of spent alot of money joining organizations/paying business consultants who told them this practice is not a smart business move.

Maybe, maybe not.......

As to the replies to "it is a waste of time"
could it be you need help in selling customers?
Some of you I think are looking at this the wrong way.

Let's say your competition charges $39 for and estimate/trip charge/service fee/BS charge. And let's assume you don't charge anything.

If people are more willing to call someone that has no charges up front, that should be an open invite to you as a potential sale waiting to happen. The next goal is to make that sale happen. Maybe this is where the guys who charge a fee faulter, they can't sell, so they get something out of the call anyway.

Maybe, Maybe not...

This may/may not apply to all, but I am confident this applies to some, they just won't admit to it....

Landon, if you are telling customers of how they are being ripped off by the free estimate guys, are YOU being honest?

I haven't ripped anyone off, and I do free estimates. And I think I am very sucessful in what I do.

(by the way, Welcome to the ECN Forum)

Dnk.........

[This message has been edited by Dnkldorf (edited 08-30-2005).]