Ya got me Wolfdog, I'm on the HVAC BB a fair amount, true.

I ask questions because I'm curious and like to know how much I don't know about things.

Note the phrasing on that. [Linked Image]

Sometimes I'll write like a knowitall (I think we all do that sometimes) but I try to keep in mind that I've little to no practical experience or training in either the HVAC or electrical fields. I do have a BSME, so I can usually understand the technical side of things once I've seen enough context, but I am not going to try and design/build/install my own HVAC and/or wiring system! Though, being an avid DIY type and experimenter, etc. I might try a thing or two in a garage, or at least check for "obvious" things like voltage at breaker, voltage at motor, anything smell burnt, gaping holes anywhere, etc.

There's also the CYA factor, too. No offense, but on both this board and the HVAC board I've heard many a story about a "hack job" by some licensed contractor who likes to cheat a bit and I simply want to know enough that by the time I am in a position to hire a contractor I'll be able to understand what they're telling me and have a better than average chance of catching a rat.

I'm also trying to learn what it is that y'all DON'T like seeing/hearing from your customers or potential customers, as I would rather not PO someone who is working on an expensive piece of equipment or wiring or what have you.

pauluk, thanks for the info. Those panels just looked odd to me, is all, and I was curious. I'll certainly be hiring an electrician because I doubt whatever place I get will be wired to support a welder, etc. in the garage... Especially if it has the original 60A service!

Sorry to ruffle any feathers.
Thanks all the same.
-cajun

Yes, I'm on Company Time. How else do you think I get a DSL connection?