Bill, n1ist,

Thanks for the info. I will most certainly have a professional inspect a house I want to buy.

Okay, all clear on the "no buried splices" part. Figured, but wanted to know if there were any "loopholes" in the code that would provide a safe method to bury a splice. Oh well.

As for the fuse box stuff, I'm mainly curious about the setups because they just "looked wrong". Best get my terminology straight first, eh?

Correct if necessary, please:

Main fuse or breaker - the first thing the power "sees" when it comes out of the meter.

Branch fuse or breaker - the over-current control devices for circuits fed off of the main fuse or breaker.

Main panel - contains the main fuse or breaker and the first group of branch fuses or breakers.

Sub-panel - another panel used to install more branch fuses or breakers when the main panel is full.

Okay, now the questions:

Can the branch circuit fuses or breakers total up to a higher amperage capacity than the main fuse or breaker? I wouldn't think so, but I can see the reasoning behind why it might happen: "Oh, we never turn EVERYTHING on at once..."

How can you run ~85 amps worth of sub-panel breakers off of a branch circuit fuse in a 60-amp main panel? Or off the main breaker, for that matter? I don't think either sounds like a good idea.

If the main panel is in a location that precludes cost-effective replacement, can one run another "main" panel (in parallel to the original main panel) in a more accessible/larger location with its own main and branch breakers? (assuming the from-the-street service is of sufficient capacity and/or has been upgraded)

Last question, and here's where you get to jump all over me. [Linked Image]

If a DIY-inclined homeowner wires in a bunch of auxiliary circuits to, say, a garage workshop, leaves all the wiring and connections properly accessible (or doesn't put the drywall on yet in the case of the wiring), leaves sufficient wire at the location of the main panel and leaves it tied-off and physically unconnected to the mains, would a licensed electrical contractor be willing (in general) to come out, inspect the work, correct where necessary, and do the final hook-up which may include getting a service upgrade?

Is this generally more or less expensive than just having the electrician do all the work in the first place, assuming the homeowner is used to reading federal codes and follows the NEC to the best of their ability?

Or is it just plain insulting to the electrician and/or most won't do it because of liability reasons, not wanting the homeowner staring over their shoulder to see where they (the homeowner) "did it wrong and how", etc.?

That'll probably be all for this thread from me, other than a "thanks" or a request for clarification. Probably go over to another "forum" on this board to ask the more theoretical questions... [Linked Image]
-cajun

Yes, I'm on Company Time. How else do you think I get a DSL connection?