Shortcircuit

I don't see the need for a disconnect at a meter pedestal.

I agree with you, considering the meter would likely be on the supply side of the disconnect per the power co.

But as always we have to decide which of these we are discussing. [Linked Image]

1)What many of feel is safe?

2)What is required by the NEC?

3)What is required by the local AHJ?

4)What was the intent?

My posts (I like to think [Linked Image] ) are based on the NEC sections.

I also understand each area has certain ways of doing things that work for them. [Linked Image]

Back to the NEC. [Linked Image] The rules in the NEC are fairly consistent about disconnecting means for any equipment we supply power to.

Appliances, motors, HVAC, services, separate buildings or structures etc.

230.70 General.
Means shall be provided to disconnect all conductors in a building or other structure from the service-entrance conductors.

(A) Location. The service disconnecting means shall be installed in accordance with 230.70(A)(1), (2), and (3).

(1) Readily Accessible Location. The service disconnecting means shall be installed at a readily accessible location either outside of a building or structure or inside nearest the point of entrance of the service conductors.

Given that location requirement and the NEC definition of structure IMO the NEC requires a disconnect at the meter pedestal.

Just my read of this, glad to hear other views.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts