I doubt there is much in the way of stolen stuff there.

But how would anybody know? That's a common misconception. As an example:

Many of you may know we are a telephone interconnect and low voltage contractor. We are an Avaya dealer.

I can tell you that ANY new Avaya equipment for sale on Ebay (as well as anywhere else on the web) may not be stolen but it has been obtained illegitimately by the seller because no authorized dealer is allowed to sell to them. To do so will result in termination of their contract. Obviously there is no warranty on any such equipment.

That's one manufacturer I'm familiar with.

The problem of illegitimate goods being sold through such places as Ebay has become so pervasive that Panasonic will be instituting an authentication process for their telephone equipment. The way it works is the installer must call in and give their dealer number, the serial number of the equipment and probably the customer's name and location. Then they will be issued a password that must be entered before the equipment will function. I expect that something like this will become more and more commonplace with other manufacturers just as it is with software.

-Hal