reno wrote:

To believe that someone, out of the generosity of their hearts, is willing to provide you with such great bargains defies belief.

In some cases, yeah I would tend to agree.

However, a lot of what I buy on eBay (AMX control system components) goes for pennies on the dollar simply because it was removed during an upgrade or demolition and is not needed. A few of the sellers let it go cheap because they're not aware of it's real value, and others simply because to them it's clutter or dead inventory.

And I frequently get old cinema equipment (or new equipment not needed) (Power amps, lenses, projector parts, etc.) that I sell with a very low reserve {meaning a minimum price I'll accept for the item to actually sell} or no reserve at all. I have almost always been surprised to get a lot more than I thought I would.

I do agree that tools, especially things like benders, sawzalls, and so on which are high theft items, should be apporached with caution. But what about an older EC who's retiring from the trade and is willing to part with the tools at any price? Kinda like an international yard sale deal. After years of use, probably not expecting (or caring to) get top dollar.

A look at the seller's feedback rating (anything below 95% would be suspect in my book) and reviewing the negatives given on one's rating {to see any seller's feedback comments, simply click on the feedback rating #} should tell a lot about their honesty. Some negatives are a result of shipping delays or simple miscommunications, not necessarily a bad transaction. A feedback comment, once it is left, cannot be changed or reversed {except in extremely rare cases by eBay admin} so a single hothead can trash an otherwise reputable seller's rating.

The best rules for dealing on eBay have been mentioned here already, but to summarize:

1: Check out the seller's ratings before you bid;
2: Read the entire listing before bidding, if it's incomplete or vague, bid with caution;
3: Ask questions! Virtually all listings have a link to ask the seller questions. If you're really interested in the item, use it. If the reply isn't satisfactory (or you get no reply) then don't bid.
4: Don't make your maximum bid more that you're willing to pay for the item. If some bozo is willing to outbid you and pay too much, bully for them!
5: For an item you really want, wait until the last hour or so of the auction before you start bidding, you can sometimes get a better deal that way.;
6: If you're bidding on multiple items from the same seller, don't be afraid to ask for combined shipping if you're the winner, it can save a lot of money and most honest sellers will oblige. (The exception would be on heavy items where the total package weight would be over about 50-60lbs. The overweight charges would eat up any savings.); and
7: Finally, Caveat emptor. ["Let the buyer beware"} Use common sense and you can have fun and save a lot on any auction site.

And if you have any old inventory, tools, etc that you want to get rid of, consider listing them yourself. You may be pleasantly surprised!

edited to add:

Hotline1 wrote:

Hmmmmm.......maybe I should 'list' the bucket truck there.....

Go for it!! The ebay Motors section specializes in that sort of thing!

[This message has been edited by mxslick (edited 10-09-2005).]

Stupid should be painful.