Thank you all for the replies,
I really appreciated it.

Just to clear up a couple of points...
My knee problem is the result some sports injuries, starting with High School, not something happened on the job.

and in San Diego, they call the ditch-digger and material handler type laborers "underground tech." I'm doing that to get experience before I apply for the apprenticship.

Thanks for the welcome Alan, and the ecouraging words.

Thanks for the links e57.
I knew there are laws protecting disabled workers, but I didn't know if they held up at all for those of us with sore knees, or backs, or whatever else.

Pat,
That is what I figured from the beginning. That if I worked hard and smart, and was the best electrican at the site, they'd overlook the limp and be glad to have me there. Thanks for the words.

Elzappr,
Thanks for your honesty. I agree, it would be like torture to go up and down a ladder, in pain, all day. I plan on having the best knee brace available made for me. I'm hoping that the brace, along with strength training, will allow me to avoid any more damage.

It was when my co-worker told me I'd have to hide everything of get possibly laid-off, that I got very concerned, and started having second thoughts. But, there are laws against that, and I plan on using my brain to help avoid any physical problems.

Thanks again for the input everyone. Hopefully you'll see me back here after I've learned some stuff and am actually be able to contribute to this site.

Take care everyone.
Sincerely,
Brian.

[This message has been edited by BrianSD (edited 08-29-2004).]