Hello Everyone,
This is my first post, thanks for taking the time to check it out.

I'm an "Underground Tech" in San Diego, and have been trying very hard to get into the Apprenticeship program. I started working for a Union company as an Underground Tech a couple of months ago, I've passed the Apprenticeship test, and I have the Interview in two weeks. I am very a mechanically inclined person, a very hard worker, and really fit in at the job-site. Being an Electrician is REALLY what I want to do for the rest of my life and I have been EXTREMELY enthusiastic about it.

The problem is, I have a weak knee. The work has been harder on my knee than I expected. I'd guess, if I take very good care of my knee, and maybe have surgury, the knee will hold up OK for the 20-25 years till retirement.

I haven't, and won't tell anyone at work, except for one JW that I really trust. He told me first that this isn't the job for me. He then said if I still chose to be an Electrician, that I would have to hide the problem, hide my knee-brace and hide a limp, otherwise I would be viewed as a liability by the company and possibly laid-off, or be given a tough time.

I guess what my question is:
Is it really true that I will have to hide EVERYTHING, including a limp, or risk being blackballed or something to that effect?

Has anyone else made it in this trade having some type of physical difficulty? Or does everyone hide their achs and pains, or is everyone in perfect health...

Being an Electrician means EVERYTHING to me. But I am having to decide if I can pull this off with a less-than perfect body.

Please give me your input. I have a VERY big decision to make.

Thanks in advance.
Sincerely,
Brian.