Amazing.

The coil I saw was a pedestal about 5 feet tall, around 18" to 24" in diameter. The guy stood on top of it, holding the 2x4 with foil wrapped around one end for a handle. That kept the gasoline off his hands, as Scott35 told us.

It must have been scary to be the first one to stand on that thing and say, "Switch."

I wouldn't want to grab the leads of a megger and get surprised by some physics law I'm not aware of.

So a megger can't shock me very badly, right? It's not going to knock me out, stop my heart or anything, even if I'm standing in water? I haven't tested the feeling of various amounts of amperage through my body, so I have no idea of how much it would hurt to get hit by a megger, even with 5mA. Maybe somebody can tell me, like George Corron who did it in class, or somebody who accidentally came in contact with one. I want to know what a megger can do to me, worst case scenario. Is it dangerous if used improperly, or does all the built-in resistance make it as safe as a GFI that won't allow me to take a lethal shock? Will I just feel a little tickle? If the unit gets wet, is there a danger of getting more than I bargained for if the water causes the power to get re-routed around the resistors?

[This message has been edited by Spark Master Flash (edited 08-02-2003).]