Pauluk, thanks again, your answers are great. I sat and thought about that until I rose to a new level, referring back and forth from your explanation to the cover of my Ugly's Electrical References book until I got it. I know how to figure volts, amps and watts calculations, but haven't done much with ohms yet. This thread is taking me headlong into the land of Ohm. Thanks!!! It's going to be great to take a resistance reading and calculate how many amps I'm looking at. That was a hole in my knowledge that had to be filled.

Can I can test the resistance through a battery?

Is there a way to test resistance while a wire is hot, or does it always have to be dead?

Scott35, I believe it was a Tesla coil. Thanks to you, too, for the enlightening answer!

What do people normally do with a Tesla coil or a Van De Graaf generator?

Here's a cheap new megger I found, has anybody used one of these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2548791771&category=4678#ebayphotohosting

$55 isn't too bad for a new megger, is it worth it? Seems like a megger's job is only to crank out some voltage to see if there's a short...

I tried to copy and paste the picture alone, it didn't work, so I had to post the url.

Are new meggers better than the old antique ones? I like the looks of the old ones. They have that Ben Franklin look to them. Maybe there's something I need to know about them that somebody here can tell me. Thanks for the help, guys, this message board is a godsend.

mlk682, how long did the AC motor hold the charge before it discharged? Was that a 4160v motor?