Would like to comment about the variation in thoroughness of inspections by comparing two here in Southern Maine. Different municipalities, different inspectors. I won't name either. Both jobs were interior renovations - new walls, new receptacles on old walls, new lighting. Both commercial (office space).

In the first, *everything* was critiqued. Ceiling tiles were moved, labeling was scrutinized, even things that were there long before I arrived were picked on (I was required to identify and label some transformers that weren't even associated with the same tenant, and had been there for 20+ years...)

Different location, 15 miles distance per Google, one year later -- bigger job twofold -- guy walks in, looks at one outlet and one junction box, suggests I add another EXIT sign, and is done.

The classic "new service" residential inspection in my home town, further north, is done by the power company, as there is no local inspector. This may have changed, as I haven't done work up there in some ten years, but last time I did, the whole thing was basically, "main breaker? check. ground rod(s)? check. no gargantuan flameballs when we plug the meter in? check. you're good, have a nice day."