Let me say, this thread could have more tangents than a trig table! I opens all manner of directions the conversation could flow.

I have three somewhat conflicting takes on the original topic.

First off, I have yet to see any job where there is nothing that can be questioned / challenged / nit-picked. Heck, sometimes I even question my own work.

Second, there are countless instances where what we are taught is 'right' is, in fact, not supported by the code. For example, the current mania for running a ground wire in EMT, and the "requirement" for each hot to have its' own neutral wire. You might say our standards greatly exceed code.

Finally, my faith in inspections is right up there with my belief in Sasquatch. It's been my experience that inspectors go to seminars where two or three things are harped on, and these things are all the inspector cares about until the next seminar.

(As an example, I simply loved the way my inspector pulled out a tape measure to make sure my ground rods were six feet apart - when they were actually eleven feet apart. He was most surprised! Good grief, they were in plain site without obstruction- and he needed a tape measure? The look on his face was priceless; at least he didn't try to argue they had to be exactly six feet apart.)