I hope it is not out of line for me to pose an inspector question rather than a contractor one.

Being in limbo until I receive my Residential Electrical Inspector license from the Fire Marshal, I had the opportunity for a “dry run” without much consequence, or so I thought.

Long story longer (those that know me can appreciate that, I am a story teller), it all started when my girlfriend told me that a mutual friend was getting a service inspected by our local notoriously bad inspector in a few days, would I mind taking a look to see our friend's son, an aspiring electrician, has done well. Sure, why not. The owner is at work but she gives me permission to take a look and so my girlfriend and I go.

A pole mounted service, deemed both temporary and an RV service with corresponding RV receptacle.

The first thing I saw pulling up was the lack of straps on the PVC mast going up the pole, while coming close to complying with (NEC 2014) 352.30, The local PoCo likes the spirit of 230.51 even for conduit.

The second thing I saw was a ground rod sticking about 4ft out of the ground, but I have to admit the soil was very rocky. That particular rod did not have a GEC attached, so upon further looking, I did see two bent over rods, about 4 to 6” above the ground and 2ft long with some #4 bare Cu (I guess they didn't know they could have used #6). So, noncompliance with 250.32g

Sigh, okay, let me grab a legal pad and pen...

So let's look at the 15A receptacle box under the combo meter/disco and lo and behold, no in-use cover and no GFCI. (Jeez, where did this kid get his license? Cracker Jacks?)

Time to look in the meter base... Oh Crap!! Wasps!!!! (Lesson #1: Wasp and Hornet Spray!!)

And then... Oh crap. USE!! 338.12b(2)

Then I notice the lumber used isn't treated or painted, and there is no intersystem bonding bridge.

Then my girlfriend being wiser than me says, “I'm calling her and telling her you can't get past the wasps to look at it.”

“What?” I stupidly reply.

“Trust me. Don't get involved. It can't go well for you.”

I say, okay fine, I guess it would be better if the other inspector fails her rather than telling her to comply with my wishes.

Well.... Get this.

He passed it.

My business partner agrees we have to stop this menace and wants me to get the work order number off of the sticker. I don't know how to approach this without simply trespassing.

What would you do?

Last edited by sparky66wv; 09/02/16 03:08 AM.

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI