Once upon a time, I believed the rules were important and I memorized the code book.

Then, I worked in an industrial building where they paralleled wires that were too small, oversized motor overloads to avoid tripping and even ran a conduit and pulled only a neutral wire into it because the load was fed from a different panel but this one was closer when they needed the extra wire.

The rules have changed so things that were once prohibited became legal and, in some cases, required.

I told an inspector about a row house complex in which the stoves were wired with undersized wire, and no one did anything.

I built an equipment skid using all approved equipment and it failed the insulation test because some parts only pass the insulation test sitting on the bench. Installed, with all necessary wires, they arc between line and low voltage.

I installed a GFCI on an approved steamer for a tub and it tripped the breaker because it only kept the neutral isolated from the ground with the power off. CSA told me to remove the GFCI.

I requested an amendment to our code and they refused to give it to the committee, because the committee was rewriting the section and I think they didn't want them bothered with facts, or something like that.

Now that I'm old and try to restrict my work to maintenance, I find that other electricians have found a way to reduce the cost of junction boxes and the labour to install them. The don't put covers on. At first I installed the covers, but it's way beyond what I can reasonably fix. Sometimes it's the number of boxes and other times the wires don't fit into the box.

Now, we need to put arc fault breakers on most circuits in a house. Sure, all fires are electrical fires but I wonder if anyone studied how many start with a arc.

I take pictures. Not of my work, but the work beside mine. If I get a rejection on my work, I'm going to complain that I'm being held to a different standard - or a standard.

Be careful or you'll become a target yourself and someone else will be looking at your work to see if they can get your licence pulled. Maybe you will get sued and end up working to give money to lawyers and the guy you slandered. If you think it's upsetting to see what he passes, try going to work to pay him to sit at home.

It appears to be all bull. Those in control don't want problems. They'll ignore you and if you don't go away, they'll see you as being the problem.