There was an example today of MC cabling not being allowed for grounding in Michigan. MC in Michigan is the same as MC in virginia, yet it's a safe ground conductor in Virginia, but not in Michigan? If it's safe, allow it in Michigan. If it's a risk, don't allow it anywhere. Same goes with the AFCIs.

I'm not talking strictly about NEC here, or federally mandating everyone follow NEC specifically, I'm taking about building codes and laws in general. People who support states rights usually bring up specific examples like california medical marijuana, or gay marriage, or virginia $2000 traffic ticket fees, and cite laws they agree with as reasons states should be free to make their own laws. I don't want to get into a debate about any specific issue here (we have enough controversy eletrical codes) but to speak in general. Make it legal everywhere, or outlaw it everywhere; to say something is OK in what state but illegal in another is, in my humble opinion, asinine. Conditions change from area to area, but there's nothing unique to chicago buildings that you don't see in Boston or New York or San Francisco, or from Michigan to Wisconsin. If risk of fire from Romex is too high a threat in high-population density areas with a large number of windy days, outlaw it in all high-density areas with a large number of windy days. If it's not, they let the poor bastards in chigago use it.

There should not be a requirement for a 3rd party "model code" like NEC or IBC at all, there could simply be *the* code, updated by the federeal government and subject to standard legislative and judicial review, with all that comes with it. If they choose to outsource it and simply adopt NEC and IBC (as the DoD has), then at least we're consistant.

Last edited by SteveFehr; 02/15/08 08:39 AM.