Licensing requirements are all over the place here in Indiana. I passed the Block Master's Exam in 1998 locally. I didn't have to because I was "grandfathered in" but wanted to in hopes of other jurisdictions reciprocating if I had passed the Masters. Some do and others don't. I wish it was uniform state-wide. The towns I have dealt with that won't accept the Block Exam do so for politically motivated reasons. They suggest I approach a locally licensed electrical contractor and do the job under their license for a fee of 2% of the total job. Once I have done this a time or 2 I can apply for my own license in their town. No thanks. I have enlisted the help of a State Deputy Building Commissioner who has known me and inspected my commercial projects for several years to cut through some of the bull the last few months with some success and now have licenses in a couple of these towns. But it shouldn't be this way. I also have done commercial new construction in fairly large towns where nothing was required in the way of licensing. Not even proof of insurance! This is equally idiotic, in my opinion. I would be all for state-wide licensing with a requirement for x number of CEUs every 4 years. Your race, creed, color, political affiliation, home town, union/non union status should not affect your right to work in a jurisdiction. It should be based on verifiable ability and compliance with code standards.