I am new to this forum and just recently started my own electrician business in Western Pennyslvania. My background is with industrial electricity but I do not want to do that anymore. Can someone give me pointers or help in determining what to charge customers for doing residential work. So far I have found I estimated too few hours for doing things I think are simple to do, like re-wire outlets, etc... I learned fast things are not what they seem once you get into the job. So whats the best method for someone like me who is learning. Whats the best way of pricing a job so I don't scare the customer when I give them an estimate yet I don't give them free work when I realize I have not estimated enough hours. Should I not tell them the hours or my rate that I charge? Any input and feedback you guys can give is much appreciated. Also, I enjoy reading through these forums and I am learning alot.

Also, I am taking the Electrician course throught Thompson Learning-Education Direct so I am learning the code stuff and electrical as it applies to residential and small commercial work. Plus reading this forum and being able to come on here and ask questions is a great resource, like having a retired experienced electrician as a neighbor.

Jeff