Hi Larry (sandsnow).

I was kind of "Shooting From The Hip" so to say, with the definitions, but more to the point I "tried" to quote what I remember from City of LA's Compliance Documents.
I downloaded a bunch of Compliance Documents from LADBS' site, for use on Design/Builds + just to have the information on hand.

"Center of the grip" is what I should have written - and goodness knows why I didn't!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Other than this, the measurements and quotes I normally refer to would either be from documents (mostly on-line) from a certain Building Department, or passed to me within an Architect's Specifications (or both!).

Let me know if you would like to review the documents I referred to above from LADBS, and I'll either send a link or the PDF document to you.

Thanks for the heads up on the T-Stats height!
I now am involved with HVAC Automation systems, and have installed many Zone Sensors with manual adjusts (temperature adjustments via a Pot.), on which, the thumb wheel being located at the upper portion on the device!
48" to the top would be pushing the limits - and would really suck for anyone in a wheelchair, trying to adjust the temperature!

As to the "Normal" Receptacles height (+15"), I feel the same as you do - 15" to the center is placing the lower portion of a Duplex device below the minimum measurement point.
My "fix" on this situation is to place the bottom of the box at 16" - making it somewhat easier to work on, and a little easier for people to plug stuff into the device.

I am thinking now of lowering my switch / T-Stat height, to be no more than 42" from Finished Floor level to the Bottom of the box (unless certain restrictions apply).

Thanks for the reply! [Linked Image]

P.S. Where is the ADA data located in the 2001 CEC? I have the loose leaf binder version of Title 24, part 3, but not sure where the data for ADA is found... so far I see referenced document names in the front section / California Matrix Adoption Tables. (BTW: for those persons reading this & wondering "Whaddaheckizzzthat"!, "Title 24, part 3" is the 2001 California Electrical Code;
Not to be confused with California's Energy Conservation stuff, which is Title 24, part 6).

I'll check back to this thread tomorrow AM.
Any suggestions per these height issues will be greatly appreciated!

Scott35

edited to fix at least one ambiguous-type statement... but there's gotta be more!!!

[This message has been edited by Scott35 (edited 12-01-2004).]

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!