E57;

What is that measurement to? Top, bottom, CL?

The quoted Maximum / Minimum dimension (measure) is to the Center of the "Activating Handle Of The Device" (Center of the throw of a Switch), or to the "Center of The Insertion Point Of The Device" (Center of either a Simplex [single] Receptacle, or the Center Point between the upper and lower halves of a Duplex Receptacle... AKA: right where the Cover Plate Screw goes on Standard "Double-D" Duplex Receptacles).

I have seen it (the "Measured Point for Electrical Devices), described as to the Center, in nearly all Spec's, plus in the documents referenced within the 2001 CEC, and in some ADA information from certain Jurisdictions (City / County of LA, for instance, has code compliance Documents On-Line).

For the norm of Outlets, figure minimum Center Line for "Floor Level Access Devices" - such as G.P. Receptacles and Comm/Data Outlets, to be 15" Minimum.
I usually go with an easier to install 18" center line - resulting in the Bottom of a typical 4s Box mounted at 16" (cut a 16" piece of Steel Stud for mounting aid).

On the flip side, for typical Light Switches, or when Receptacles are mounted at Switch Height, the Maximum Center Line dimension / measure is 48" (normally..., although exceptions do exist here! Some AHJs have height revisions for Receptacles and Switches in ADA Accessable Restrooms).
When I mount these Animals - again using the typical 4s Box as example, I go with 48" as the top of the Box - making the Center Line at 46", and the Bottom of the Box at 44".
Cut another Steel Stud 44" long for this mounting aid.

I will cut/paste text from some LADBS ADA documents I have - which are .PDFs, so the references need to be converted to either ASCII text or an image prior to posting here.

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!