Seems that I have always seen EFs vented to exterior.
On the Residential stuff I did, the EFs were definitely vented to exterior.
In Commercial, the only reason an EF is not ducted, or vented to exterior is because someone fell across the duct, resulting in a nullification of the once-continuous vent path.
Secondary results are usually "Ceilings With A View" (leg holes thru drywall), and lots of pain to the duct-removing / viewport-creating person(s).

As to Glazing;

Want to see some high level "Red Tape" in regards to Glazing? Check out the California Energy Commission's Building Standards Manual for Residential and Non-Residential Occupancies.
Great reading for the Anal Retentive readers [Linked Image]
Actually, the Glazing Specs. in the Manual (known to be Title 24, Part 6 - Chapter 2: Building Envelope), are very interresting. Many formulas are listed for use to achieve the target goals needed for compliance.

Along the lines of high functioning / Marathon Mission reading, the entire T24 Part 6 Compliance Manual is great for those like me with no life, and so is the typical Project Specification Manual!

Never seen one of the "Ductless" EFs that Ryan is referring to - maybe because I haven't contiplated their existence.?.?.? Have to do a Dedicated Browsing Trip to the local Orange Box to see one of these Animals upclose!

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!