I have an account with Bank of Ireland in Dublin which I've held for several years, and if I recall correctly they accepted a U.K. license and and didn't ask for any social security number, but I think I did have to send a couple of utility bills as proof of my U.K. address. I've held that account for several years, so it's probably all different now (and of course I was a non-resident).

Last time I opened a bank account in England was when I changed banks about 5 years ago. I didn't want credit, a guarantee card, or anything like that, but they still process the application as though you were applying for a loan and run a credit check. As with a simple "current" (checking) account the bank is looking after my money, it would be more appropriate if I asked them for references!

I wonder whether a certain person at No. 10 is trying to catch us up to the levels of French bureaucracy sometimes, as it's certainly been getting steadily worse in recent years.

Just trying to get my 25% council-tax discount every year is becoming a nightmare in which the council demands proof of ID, utility bills, copy of driver's license or passport, etc. It's funny how they don't seem to ask for all of that before they send out the bill. [Linked Image]