I can't see the PoCo installing anything resembling a full substation here. One side of the land and the rear is bounded by woodland which belongs to the local estate/manor house. That already has power which appears to come in from the far side.

The other side is open farmland, with just the one house at the bottom corner (with its single-phase spur line and small xfmr which we are hoping can be upgraded to give a supply).

The opposite side of the road is also woodland belonging to the estate, plus the large poultry farm which has the big 3-ph xfmr that I mentioned in my initial post. So it seems unlikely there will ever be more demand to justify a full sub.

We are still waiting for the PoCo to get back to us with a date for a site visit.

By the way, the initial house plans have fallen through. The local council planning department has now informed the owner that they are most unlikely to grant planning consent to build a house on the land, even though they had previously indicated that there would be no objections. [Linked Image]

So, the plan at the moment is to replace the existing holiday-style caravan (about 28 ft. single unit) with a double-wide "park" type mobile home. The existing unit has already had temporary consent for several years, so he reckons there's no reason to refuse the upgrade. (He intends to go ahead with the plan whether the council like it or not anyway, as his personal position at the moment leaves little choice.)

So on the electrical side I now plan on running just a 40A subfeed from the bottom of the land, and have put a maximum anticipated load of 9kVA on the supply request. That should help keep costs down a little.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 02-20-2005).]