Thanks for all the replies. More or less what I expected: Fine from a practical point-of-view, but the utility may have other ideas!

Is the HV line system at the front of the property actually passing the front?, or is it a Spur that ends before your customers property?
It's a spur line to the big xfmr for the farm which comes in from the opposite direction, so nothing running past the front of the land at all. On the other side of his land, beyond the wood, is a large manor-house type place. It looks as though that takes its power from an HV line coming in from the far side. It's quite infuriating, because there's power all round, just nothing in the little stretch where he's located.

Another thing to consider, is the fact that the Spur line to the rear of the property may have been installed with only enough capacity for the single load on it,
We did drive around the lanes and trace the line back. This 2-wire spur runs about a half mile from where its tapped from the 3-phase lines, and as near as I could make out, has about three houses on it, each with its own small pole-top xfmr.

Even if you put a full 24kW load on, it would only add an extra 2 amps or so to the HV current, so I can't see that being a problem. I'm not familiar with the guidelines used for our 11kV distribution system though, so the PoCo might have an objection I suppose.

But the sub main's gona be a mother to allow for volt drop on 200 yards, might have to restrict him to one light at a time!!
Yep, that's something I was concerned about. I did point out that when it comes to design it might be an idea not to count on electric for cooking and heat, but he was already planning on gas and oil heating anyway.

As a matter of interest, what size conductors are normally installed on overheads for local 240/415 distribution? I'd never really stopped to think about that before.

It was self-dug. I'm told the total invoice was £5,200.00
That's encouraging.

As you've all said, and as I told the owner, ultimately it's down to the PoCo playing ball. He needs power there one way or another, so we'll have to get them out and discuss the options. Might be worth asking about the option of the utility providing the feed right up to the front from the rear xfmr but the owner providing labor on the trenching.