I guess everywhere has its points that seem strange to outsiders. Just ask most people here what a 4-way stop is, and you'll get all sorts of blank looks!

We have nothing like the grounding adapters sold in America -- the ones to convert an old 2-prong outlet to a grounding type with a lug that fixes under the cover-plate screw. I wonder how many people use them without checking whether the box is properly grounded in the first place?

That sort of thing comes as a surprise to many Brits, but then Americans might also raise a few eyebrows at our unprotected service entrance cables and whole houses with only four branch circuits.

The same rounding-up of prices happened here in 1971 when Britain changed from the old LSD (pounds, shillings & pence) to decimal currency. It was the start of the massive inflation of the 1970s.

Bill,

Was that couple's divided year in the U.S and Italy some sort of immigration work-around? I could quite easily live in America for 6 months a year on a visitor's visa with no questions asked, so long as I wasn't working there.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 01-11-2002).]