Hehe... Are you reading this Tex? [Linked Image]

I guess we've all got our quirks. Do you know the large wirewound resistors that were very common as droppers in TVsyears ago? Usually about an inch diameter with green coating on the ceramic. I know of bench techs. who'd wire one to a suitable supply and dip it in their mug to keep their tea or coffee warm!

I suppose the "catch" with French property is that fees and taxes on purchase are higher than here - Up to 10% of the price - but it's still good value and you'll break even after a few years on the savings on annual property tax.

Some of the very cheap places need a lot (and I do mean a LOT) of work, but they're still far batter value England. Anyone selling an average 2-BR semi (one half of what you'd call a duplex) anywhere near London could easily buy someplace really nice in rural France.

VAT (sales tax) runs 19.6% on most things in France, although it's 17.5% here so there's not that much difference. They also have 5.5% VAT on food (tax free here), but it's still a little cheaper than Britain, as are quite a few other goods. It's probably down to the transport costs: Gasoline is about 10 to 15% cheaper in France, but diesel is not much more than half what it costs here.

Getting back on topic (sorry everyone!), some French wiring leaves a little to be desired, but hey, I know someone who can take care of that! [Linked Image]