ALCI? Is that the same thing as an AFCI?
If not, then that's another new one on me!

I still have an old late 1940s/early 1950s hair dryer here. It's not used as such anymore, but it's just right for warming or cooling components for fault-finding. (You can tell it must be old: It actually has "Made in England" on the label! [Linked Image]) It would probably violate numerous consumer safety laws if sold today; you can even replace the motor brushes without taking the covers off.

On a similar subject, I have an old 1930s household handbook which explains how to determine the polarity of a d.c. supply by dipping the wires into a glass of water and vinegar. Can't you just imagine the reaction of the publisher's lawyers if they tried something like that today?!

I haven't been to every part of the States, but I've traveled from NYC right across the Mid-West as far as central Nebraska.

I also toured around the South back in 1992/3 taking in FL, GA, AL, NC & SC. I loved it down there, especially up in the Appalachians.

Yep, I could quite easily get myself a big ol' trailer and become an English redneck if only the INS would renew my green card!