Yeah, we have our share of old "knob and tube" wiring that is single conductor routed, and is likely to be a source of EMI--especially if dimmer switches or paddle fan speed controls are used. The IEEE has a panel that oversees the health concerns of EM fields, but I don't recall the title of the volume..it has been about 5 years since I last looked at it in a university library.
By the way, I looked over some of your earlier entries re. UK wiring and I realize NOW why you are concerned about the wiring overheating..I never realized before that the wire is undersized..that it needs both ends of the ring to safely handle the current load. Its probably a good thing that your buildings are made of masonry or stone! One redeeming fact 'tho is that the receptacles don't necessitate an actual break in the wiring..decreasing the likelihood of a faulty connection or open circuit from one end of the ring.
My understanding is that the immersion detectors are part of the plug..a big ole clunky plug..with a reset button like a gfci. The receptacles in bathrooms are also gfci protected..so its a race to see which one trips out first. I have seen somewhere..I think it was in a '99 code handbook..that manufacturers have a choice as to whether to use an actual immersion detector, or a gfci, or..this isn't a sharp memory..an appliance leakage current interrupter. Perhaps that choice has been recinded by now..you will have to dig for info about it from someone who is really on top of the subject..I'm just slightly familiar with it. I'll leep my eyes peeled next time I go to the store and see if there are any IDCI's attached to the plugs of cords of blow dryers, curling irons, foot massage units, etc., and I'll let you know what I find. Bye for now.
P.S. I appreciate your perspective on this site. I only wish I had access to your info 10 years ago..before my trips to England..I could have learned a lot more on my trips! I am a bit amazed by your familiarity with our wiring methods and electrical code. What's-a-mattah, don't you have a life? [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Elzappr (edited 12-31-2001).]